The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tweaking FTP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by techark, Sep 16, 2002.

1. techark

techark Well-Known Member

Speed up the connection time of FTP?

I have one server that seems fine as far everythign else but the waiting for a connection when using a FTP client is really slow. My other servers on the same network etc all connect much faster, this one only a few weeks old takes awhile. I also notice a considerably difference when I use putty there is a longer than normal lag time to connect. Anyone else face this?

Oh and Mem is the same as my other sever load is low and processer is a PIII 1.2

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Set proftpd to not do a reverse lookup on an IP. This is probably the cause of your delay.

3. nsr81

nsr81 Member

I can't seem to find an option in /etc/proftpd.conf to turn off reverse look up. Can any one tell me where it is or if it isn't inserted by default, then what should I put in.

4. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

Open /etc/proftpd.conf and find this line:

DefaultRoot ~ !wheel

Below it add:

UseReverseDNS off
    IdentLookups off
    TimeoutNoTransfer 900
    TimeoutIdle 900

That will stop proftpd from doing reverse and indent lookups during the connection process which should help with timeouts. This resolved a lot of connection timeout complaints for me.