The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Addressing Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ver2, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Ver2

Ver2 Registered

Feb 25, 2006
    I have been renting a cPanel server which hosts a number of sites for a while now. I am ready to move the sites to a linux cPanel server that I have setup at home. I have two questions about what the proper settings would be for this server’s basic config.

I have a business cable connection with a static IP address. The single static IP is configured for a router/firewall. I am running a number of devices behind the router (including the cPanel server) so the cPanel server currently uses an internal LAN IP. I plan on using my domain resistor’s nameservers and not run my own yet.

Two Quick Questions:

In the “Basic cPanel/WHM Setup” page… should the option for “Main Shared Virtual Host IP” be the cPanel servers internal LAN IP address or the external static IP address assigned to the router/firewall?

In the “Basic cPanel/WHM Setup” page… does the “Primary & Secondary Nameservers” have to be the nameservers that I plan on using, such as my domain resistors name servers, or do I use the cPanel servers own internal LAN IP address (or If I use the cPanel servers internal IP address, do I then need to setup the cPanel servers nameserver for this, even if I plan on using my domain resistors name servers for my sites?
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Go on, have a guess
    1. The IP address will be the one used in httpd.conf and the standard DNS zone files for routing incoming queries, so would normally be your external IP address

2. Those are the FQDN's of the two (or more) authoratitive DNS servers that will resolve DNS queries for the domains hosted. What you are alluding to are the resolver servers you put in /etc/resolv.conf which can be your servers main (internal) IP address if you're going to run bind (named).