The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two bizarre email problems

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by MikeHihn, Jan 8, 2003.

1. MikeHihn

MikeHihn Active Member

Two email problems began at about the same time -- I can't believe they're related, but I'll describe them both.

FORWARDING ADDRESS

One address is set to forward everything to my broadband account, which it does for each mesage, however a duplicate of each message is also sent to the POP3 mailbox on my server-- as of a few days ago.

I learned of this when two friends sent me notice saying their email had been cued and could not be delivered. So I set up a POP3 account in Outlook and went direct, downloading 450 messages(!) all duplicates. Then I checked the mail cue in WebHost Manager and another 200 messages are just sittting there, for the same email account. Then I ran the email troubleshooter in WHM and was told it could find no problem.

#2 - POP3 ACCOUNT

This may not be a server problem. :)
    Client says her emails are being auto delivered into the delete folder, when received by three of her friends (all use Outloook). Friends say there is no filter which should do so. Other friends of hers, without Outlook, don't get the emails at all. She (of course?) also has Outlook. So far, I have asked her to get full headers from the recipients that are auto-deleting -- and I've asked if she scans outgoing for viruses -- no response on either, and I have no idea what I'd do with the information but the need seemed intuitive when I asked.

-Mike Hihn
    www.pugetnet.com

2. Damian

Damian Well-Known Member

#1 This sounds like normal behaviour. I've always used a forwarder and a POP account with the same name so that mail would be forwarded and then dropped in the mailbox for me to POP off later.

If you only need mail to that address being forwarded remove the POP account.

#2 Sounds like a mail filtering rule to me. I'm not that familiar with Outlook (I use OE) but I've seen settings for marking mail to be deleted without a mail rule. Try options under security maybe ?

3. MikeHihn

MikeHihn Active Member

[quote:0efe816d05][i:0efe816d05]Originally posted by Damian[/i:0efe816d05]

#1 This sounds like normal behaviour. I've always used a forwarder and a POP account with the same name so that mail would be forwarded and then dropped in the mailbox for me to POP off later.

If you only need mail to that address being forwarded remove the POP account.[/quote:0efe816d05]

(blush) Thanks!

[quote:0efe816d05]
    #2 Sounds like a mail filtering rule to me. I'm not that familiar with Outlook (I use OE) but I've seen settings for marking mail to be deleted without a mail rule. Try options under security maybe ?[/quote:0efe816d05]

They are all very young. And that makes sense. Thanks.

-Mike