jsox79

Jan 1, 2011
So I logged in the other morning to you must reboot your system to apply upgrades. no biggie did a graceful and no boot.

can verify that is not up at my host ovh. login via kvm to see the terminal screen and its stuck at grub????

dmesg complains about kernel? i had kernelcare installed. ive read some threads the ovh uses their own custom kernels. and ive been playing with this for two days. its not super crucial as i can netboot a bootimg and be running. but id like to run off the servers boot partition lol.

cpanel had updated and system had also updated. now ive been trying to roll back kernel for two days, and strangely no matter what kernel i choose i always get boot failure.

last night i went to rescue to try and repair the boot partition and noticed the md2 and md3 both had a boot partition? as im not a grub expert, at first i didnt think about it. i just noticed that md2 had no info in it. however md3 had all the boot info. so my question to you is how do i fix this as it is obviously the problem. heres my df -h output.

[[email protected] ~]# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 20G 6.9G 12G 38% /
devtmpfs 16G 0 16G 0% /dev
tmpfs 16G 0 16G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 16G 19M 16G 1% /run
tmpfs 16G 0 16G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/md2 487M 163M 295M 36% /boot
/dev/sda1 510M 2.7M 508M 1% /boot/efi
/dev/md4 420G 59G 340G 15% /home
/dev/sdc 3.6T 12G 3.4T 1% /home2
/dev/loop0 635M 804K 601M 1% /tmp
tmpfs 3.2G 0 3.2G 0% /run/user/0

thank you in advance for this. a lot of things i am proficient in, boot is usually not an issue. but ive never dealt with uefi interface before on linux this is my first. sorry for my noobdom.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @jsox79

This isn't two separate boot partitions this is /boot on one mount and /boot/efi on another. If you're having an issue with this configuration this is something best suited for a system administrator as it's not something cPanel would be able to manage. If you don't have a system administrator you might find one here: System Administration Services | cPanel Forums.

Thanks!

jsox79

Jan 1, 2011
Hi Lauren,

Unfortunately,

This occurred after cPanel updated system, I mean before the update good, after the update fail? but i understand if you dont know what to do to fix it. hopefully somebody when come along with some experience in the matter. i rebuild boot sectors all day long at work, but its a little trickier remotely and honestly never dealt with linux on a uefi machine, all legacy. so my familiarity is not what it should be. thank you for your help, im sure ill figure it out one way or another via trial and error and reading.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @jsox79

cPanel doesn't do anything with mount points like this though and definitely not create this:
Code:
/dev/md2 487M 163M 295M 36% /boot
/dev/sda1 510M 2.7M 508M 1% /boot/efi
It almost seems like this was unmounted at some point and remounted - could this have been the result of a reboot?