The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

two different domain nameservers on one server

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by caeos, Aug 28, 2008.

1. caeos

caeos Well-Known Member

in WHM i can set the ns1.domain1.com and ns2.domain1.com in the nameservers for the host server of domain1.com BUT
    can i then set ns1.domain2.com and ns2.domain2.com in the 4rd and 4th nameserver boxes and would it work.
    the name server are pointed to the server IP from the registrar, i am not trying to steal the domain2 but the person who owns the domain is 'unavailable' to change the nameservers pointed in the registrar entry.

2. MaestriaNick

MaestriaNick Well-Known Member

If he domain is registered with only two nameservers nameservers, ns1.domain2.com and ns2.domain2.com, and if they are not pointing to your server, why you want to add these nameserers via whm ? the zone record created in your server will not have any effect on the domain , as it is registered with external nameservers. If you just want to have the correct zone in your server, just modify the zone for that domain only, from whm.

3. caeos

caeos Well-Known Member

im probably a bit more confused now, but ill explain a bit more.

ns1.domain2.com and ns2.domain.com are poitning via IP to my server.

i have had to change the hostname on the server. there fore it has 2 new n/s ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com

i am not sure how to make the changes in the zone record but thought i would just put the ns1/2 domain2.com in the 3rd and 4th nameserver fields. (if that would work?)

4. DevilsHost

DevilsHost Registered

Do you mean to say you want the persons domain to point to your server without them having to change their DNS? if that's what you mean then I doubt that's possible, they have to change the DNS at their end nothing you do on your server will get round that I don't think.

Sorry if i've misunderstood

5. caeos

caeos Well-Known Member

ok..
    -domain2.com points to ns1.domain2.com and ns2.domain2.com
    -ns1/ns2.domain2.com point to IP address 123.45.67.890 (ficticious!)

domain.com points to ns1/ns2.domain.com
    -ns1/ns2.domain.com points to the same IP 123.45.67.890

domain2.com used to be hosted on the server but under server.domain2.com

domain2.com files are still available on the server its just the nameservers that changed, we still wont the site hosted. but as said the hostee is unavailable to log in and change the ns.

i know that google doesnt care as its calling now non existent pages using the IP

#5 caeos, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  6. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What do you mean by the domain "points to"?? Your terminology is completely confusing the issue, at least for me of limited brainpower.

Normally you'd say "has nameservers of", as the domains don't point to the nameservers, it's more the other way around. There are two places where nameservers are defined - at the registrar, and in the zone on the server. Have you checked both? When talking about this stuff you need to make it clear where things are defined, then we might be able to help.

Also, it's probably worth mentioning the actual domain names so we can check for you. Without domain names, it's just all theory and assuming you have managed to accurately describe what's happening and we have to call that into question as you have got the terminology so wrong. :)

7. caeos

caeos Well-Known Member

ok i will try and explain this to see if it makes more sense.

we had to rebuild the server

at my registrar for newdomain.com i have created ns1.newdomain.com and ns2.newdomain.com which are pointed (as the registrar calls it) to IP address 123.45.67.890 (ficticious!). newdomain.com is the hostname for the server
    in the whm primary ns field is ns1.newdomain.com and secondary ns2.newdomain.com

The original domain (origdomain.com) which USED to be the hostname is still refering to the ns1/ns2 origdomain.com which are (in registrar speak) pointed to the servers IP address.

IF i put these ns1.origdomain.com and ns2.origdomain.com in the Tertiary Nameserver and fourth Nameserver, would the origdomain.com resolve to the rebuilt server?

as stated before the owner or admin of the origdomain.com is unavailable and we would like to continue hosting their original site.
    -----
    sorry i will not be mentioning actual site names as some of the material is off a sensitive nature, IP banned outside the UK and you would only be able to check the nameservers under whois.

#7 caeos, Sep 2, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  8. kernow

kernow Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If the original name servers are still registered to IPs that are on your server then yes, you can do that as long as you remember to also create new entries for them in WHM DNS .
    Tip. For DNS help go to http://dnsstuff.com

9. caeos

caeos Well-Known Member

Thanks, thats the answer i was looking for, dnsstuff is top of my bookmarks since being in beta