The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two-factor authentication failed for WHM (and how to solve it)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter Grahn a.k.a Lite, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Peter Grahn a.k.a Lite

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    As the topic states, two-factor authentication failed today, the codes generated by Googles app were no longer accepted.
    I haven't figured out as to why it failed as much as actually trying to get back into WHM. I couldn't find anything in the documentation so I had to research it and found that renaming theyaml-file in /var/cpanel/authn/twofactor-auth sloved the problem.

Hopefully this will help if anyone else stumbles on this problem.

2. Peter Grahn a.k.a Lite

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    FYI, I'd neglected to sync server time, this will always cause this problem. Is there a reason why there is a button for set time zone and one for sync time? If you change time zone it should be obvious that you want the time synced too..?

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I'm happy to see you were able to determine the cause of the problem. It's possible that some administrators prefer to use a custom date/time on their OS that does not sync to the actual time. That said, you could open a feature request for an additional check box under the "Change Time Zone" button that automatically syncs the time.

Submit A Feature Request

Thank you.