Two-Factor Authentication for multiple users?

robinr303

Registered
Mar 8, 2019
Denver
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi, my client wants separate logins per person for cPanel on their account with 2 Factor Authentication for each user. They only need one WHM root access, but we DO need secure cPanel access for every user.

—I currently have 2fa enabled for both cPanel and WHM
—I have whitelisted the ips on WHM in cPHulk and 2 Factor Authentication
—I created a new cPanel user for myself via cPanel User Manager but cannot log into cPanel with it (I made FTP and Web Disc "enabled")

BUT
—I am only able to log into cPanel under one account: the default/root account
—I need to 1) login as my new username and 2)be sure I can use 2fa

Timing is important so thanks in advance for your help!

robinr303

Registered
Mar 8, 2019
Denver
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks I did find that and had it enabled but there was an issue with another user logging in. Should I share the QR code with the rest of my team? Will the same qr code work for everyone?

robinr303

Registered
Mar 8, 2019
Denver
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Ok, Linford wants to add a secure login for each cPanel user and to add 2-factor authentication for each user. How would we go about doing that? Also, can you please let me know why I can't login to cPanel with the new user I created on cPanel: removed

Thanks a bunch, R

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hello @robinr303

You can add 2FA for each cPanel user using the method I described earlier, you will only be able to activate the authenticator/QR code on one device though. If this doesn't function please let us know what the error is in the cPanel error logs when attempting to access.

Also, can you please let me know why I can't login to cPanel with the new user I created on cPanel: removed
I wouldn't have a way to know this without more information. Do you get a specific error? Is anything noted in the cPanel error logs? Please keep in mind that while we are here to support you we do not have access to your system and you may need to discuss these issues with your provider.

Thanks!

robinr303

Registered
Mar 8, 2019
Denver
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks. There's just one more issue I need to resolve, I thought a login issue was connected to 2FA but I'm not able to log into cPanel with a new user I created, even with 2FA off. I added the account in cPanel/User Manager but can't log in. I need to be able to add and subtract cPanel users (not WHM users) using cPanel’s “User Manager”. hostinger.com/tutorials/cpanel/how-to-create-additional-users-via-cpanel double-checked these step How to Create Additional Users via cPanel's User Manager tool but login fails when I attempt to use the new account. After I’m able to successfully log in with new user accounts, I’ll reactivate 2FA. Can you tell me why I'm unable to log into cPanel with new users?

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hi @robinr303

cPanel only allows one main cPanel user, meaning that there are no subaccounts, only the one user is able to access cPanel directly. All other users added through the user manager will only have access to FTP, Web Disk or Email.

There is an open feature request for this functionality if you'd like to vote on it or become a part of the discussion you can do so here: Multiple cPanel Logins (cPanel Subusers)

Thanks!