The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Glitches: Stuck nameservers & Vanished Bindlight

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Pollie, May 4, 2003.

1. Pollie

Pollie Active Member

Greetings [all]

This post is about two glitches; I wonder if some of you have experienced them and hopefully found a fix.

ISSUE (A)== How to remove a nameserver from the list showing after "Manage nameservers IP", when the following conditions meet:

1) The account is closed
    2) The ex-reseller is gone and never answer our e-mails
    3) The ex-resellers did not change the nameserver IPs assignment on his registrar
    4) All the DNS zones for his domain have been long deleted from our server
    5) The Ips were removed from our server IP pool
    6) But the two nameserver still show in the list and when clicking in the red X to remove it, we get the message "This nameserver cannot be removed because it is still registered at an ICCANN registrar"

I guess there should be some file where WHM manually writes this assignment; I would like to know which file is this (if any) and if I can edit it manually so that I get rid of this nameserver.

I talk about one, but actually I have many instances of this problem.

ISSUE (B)==

Although named seems to be running OK, it does *not* show int he server status graphics with a green or red lamp. Bind light simply vanished from this panel. I tried everything: restarting Cpanel, restarting Named, fixing named, but I cannot get this item back to the Server Status interface.

Thank you in advance,
    Regards,
    Paula

#1 Pollie, May 4, 2003
    Last edited: May 4, 2003
  2. reddrake

reddrake Well-Known Member

Well I have had the same problem, Yes there is a manual edit.
    Check in /etc/nameserverips
    Edit the ones you want out. Then it will be removed from the "WHM" Manage NameServer ip's Section.
    Also, alot of manual edit files are in /etc/ Be sure to keep backups incase you "Mess Up"
    Thanks,
    Brian

3. Pollie

Pollie Active Member

Hello Brian,

Thank you a lot!

The ellegance of a solution is directly proportional to its simplicity when the problem itself seemed pretty ugly before being solved in such a simple way. Fine job, tks again.

However I wonder what will happen with the next user of this IP; once deleted from my server and the nameserverips file edited, my problems ceases, but if these two IPs come to be assigned to a new server, wont they still be assigned to the stubborn DNS at the registrar? In this case, if they are re-assigned to a new NS pair, wont these NS be using shared IPs with an alien gone-user?

Perhaps some further conf beyond my server level should be required to prevent these Ips to automatically introduce the present nameserver in the next user's WHM ip list.

Thank you again!

All the best,

Paula

#3 Pollie, May 4, 2003
    Last edited: May 4, 2003