The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two hours and counting to generate a GnuPG key

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HappyPappy, Jan 1, 2009.

1. HappyPappy

HappyPappy Active Member

Hi,

Just taken delivery of a new dedicated server dual quad core Xeon 5420. The specs were chosen because there's going to be a fair use of the GnuPG key feature at the cpanel level.

My testing yesterday and today is leaving me feeling a little sick.

Creating keys just through the normal system in cPanel (manage GnuPG feature) is taking forever. I have been looking at the "This may take a few minutes" screen now for over two hours (It is still going as I type this). The "Key generated successfully" message is nowhere to be seen.

I tried this yesterday also with no luck. My dedicated server supplier has been excellent (I have a number of services from them and they are first class) in trying to identify and fix the issue but they do not know exactly what the issue could be. They have already sent in a support request to cPanel.net and received a reply that was not able to shed any light on the issue other than to confirm that because there is no randomization going on it can take longer.

So this leads me to pop in here in the hope others may have come across this and can point me (or my host) in the right direction to get this resolved please.

When creating GnuPG keys in cPanel can I ask how long does it take before people get the "Keys generated successfully" screen? Is two plus hours the norm??

Thank you for any advice anyone can give.

HP

#1 HappyPappy, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. Andrew Boring

Andrew Boring Member

It took about a minute or two on a dual P3.

You should probably run /scripts/upcp, yum update (assuming CentOS) to be sure everything is up to date.

You can check top or ps via SSH to see if gpg is still actually running and for how long. Cpanel might log some error messages about it in /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log.

Finally, you may need to open a support ticket with cPanel (or ask your host to do so).

3. HappyPappy

HappyPappy Active Member

Thank you Andrew. I'm going to do as you suggested.

I appreciate you replying.

HP

4. HappyPappy

HappyPappy Active Member

My host doesn't know.

Can you possibly tell me what I need to look for? or is there something I may be missing please. I am running Centos 5 and the latest cPanel.

Looking forward to any help or advice anyone can give.

Thank you