The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two MX records for one domain

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by tamarin, Dec 30, 2014.

1. tamarin

tamarin Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is it possible to have two distinct email servers (for two sets of non-overlapping addresses) for the same domain?

I have a domain, mycompany.com with 100 users running on MS Exchange. Can I split for testing purpose like this.

50 email users will continue with Exchange with email@mycompany.com

Remaining 50 users of mycompany.com, I need to switch to another Linux based or some other Email service provider. If the service of email provider is good, I will stop using Exchange and migrate all 50 exchange users to the email service provider.

Till such time I need to point to my MX records to my MS Exchange Server and Email Service Provider.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Tamarin

2. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Sorry, that's not possible because that's not how backup MX records work. They work on the domain itself. So the entire mycompany.com domain will use one or (multiple) MX records. MX records are checked based on priority or preference (on the domain level, not the email account level).

What you could try to do is to lower your TTL to something like 5 minutes, wait about 24 to 48 hours, and then change the MX record to the new server. If anything goes wrong, you can quickly change the MX record back to the Exchange server and be back up and running in 5 minutes.

3. tamarin

tamarin Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Thanks Peter. But actually google apps is doing the same thing. email@mycompany.com are on Exchange with around 1000 mail box. We want to add 300 more new emails. But instead ofincreasing curing exchange licenses, Bandwidth, HW for 300 mail boxes, they want to try with google apps. In this case, existing 1000 emails are with exchange with emai@mycompany.com. The new 300 emails are with google apps with the same domain name, say email1@mycompany.com. All we need to see is the email should not be duplicate with exchange email and google apps. But with the same domain mycompany.com will be used.

That is why I asked. If so I need to try for my organisation also.

Thanking you

Tamarin

4. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

You can't change or have other MX records for the same domain where some emails go to one server (Exchange) and others to another (cPanel). The MX records are on the domain name, not on the separate email accounts. The only way to accomplish what you want is to have a separate domain name for the 300 new accounts to use. But there is no way to change MX records to accomplish what you want, that's just not how DNS works.