The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Questions About cpbackup

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by czerdrill, Nov 15, 2011.

1. czerdrill

czerdrill Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    I did a /scripts/cpbackup to force cpbackup to run. How do I know if it's running and when it's complete? I checked top but it doesn't show anything there indicating the process is running. Is there someway to know when the forced backup is complete?

Also, I was trying to delete some of the backups that exist in the /daily folder as I am moving to only weekly updates and retention, but I keep getting the error that the files can't be deleted because it's a read-only file system. I was navigating to the /daily folder through SSH and then running 'rm -rf *" Any idea why I'm getting that error?
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Oct 2, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If your system is in a read-only state, you need to grab a copy of the existing backups you have and move them off the server. A read-only file system means your server is having a disk issue. You'll need to have your datacenter, NOC or provider assist you with a reboot that will run an fsck on it to try to repair the file system.

Given the fact the system is read-only for that partition, it is likely that cpbackup didn't run. Log files go to /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup location, so you can see if the backup ran or not there. The files are based on time stamp, so simply list the files to see the latest one and tail the last 50 or so lines to see what it shows:

tail -50 /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup/logfilename
    Where logfilename is the name of the last log for cpbackup in that folder.

Again, you really need to get those backups off the server using whatever method you can (scp being the best way). After you have them off the server, check if you can get another server ready to use as a restore if that one doesn't come back from the reboot.

Since this is system administration and outside cPanel scope, again your datacenter, NOC or provider would be the best ones to help with what happens at this point. Once you reach a point you need to do a restore from the existing backups if you move to a new machine, we can definitely assist with such questions.