The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two recent updates with no version or changelog

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sehh, Apr 22, 2008.

1. sehh

sehh Well-Known Member

We've seen two recent major updates in the STABLE branch which didn't come in a new version and didn't have a changelog.

Does this mean these changes are security related and thats why they were done "under the radar"?

2. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Last update to stable was on March 10th

STABLE
    11.18.3-STABLE_21703
    (Mon Mar 10 08:00:39 2008)

3. sehh

sehh Well-Known Member

Based on the cPanel update logs, i can see the updater downloading and installing several things, including 3rd party apps like Exim and ClamAV.

4. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Plugins, such as ClamAV Connector, are not part of the build/branch and are updated independently. We don't currently document the Plugins in the change log (nor the cPAddons).

Unless you have every update category disabled (check settings in the update config page in WHM), the update process will happen ever night, attempting to update various items, such as Exim, Courier, etc. A careful study of the update logs should reveal that such portions are already updated. For example:

Code:
    Updating MySQL Server...MySQL Setup Script Version 7.0
    Fetching http://httpupdate.cpanel.net/mysqlinstall/CURRENT/cPpkgversion (0)....@208.74.121.39......connected......receiving...65%...100%......Done
    Loaded cPPkgs::MySQL ok!
    This is the cPPkgs::MySQL 5.0.51a installer for Linux.
    MySQL 5.0.51a is up to date
    Install Complete

in this case, an attempt was made to update MySQL, which was already at the published version for Current.

RPMs are also updated independently of the build, but we publish information about those in the change log.

5. sehh

sehh Well-Known Member

I am aware that the update performs checks on the system and i'm not talking about them, instead i'm more interested in the cPanel-dependant applications which are updated without a changelog, like Exim for example.

It would be nice if we knew what changed and those not using automatic updates will be able to choose if they'll go for the update or not.

At least its possible to get a changelog for the official operating system RPMs (CentOS for example).

6. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Newer (meaning not yet available in public releases) RPMs will have the changelog embedded in the RPM, viewable with the --changelog flag.

The currently published RPMs have the relevant changes documented at changelog.cpanel.net. Most of the RPMs have little to no changes to the upstream source, we just ensure it compiles on our supported dsitros. Thus, for most of the RPMs, the documented change is along the lines of 'Moved AppFoo-1.3.5 into RELEASE.' Where we do make changes to the source, we provide those details. For example, note the change log entries for MySQL 5.0.51a-1 as displayed at changelog.cpanel.net

We haven't pushed new RPMs into STABLE for a while, so I'm not certain why your system was downloading newer RPMs (unless for some reason a prior update failed on your system).

As for the Plugins (e.g. the ClamAV connector), as mentioned we don't currently document changes to them. The ClamAV connector was updated to provide ClamAV 0.9.3 and to resolve an issue with zlib that some systems were experiencing.

The relevant portions of the cPanel system that are not documented via a change log entry should be, and we will work toward that goal.

Please note that if you are in the habit of viewing the change log from the link within WHM, you will only see entries that are peculiar to your install (e.g. STABLE, RELEASE, etc). Thus you won't see entries for EasyApache, the installer or other branches. Viewing the full change log at changelog.cpanel.net provides full details.

7. sehh

sehh Well-Known Member

i've only been looking at changelog.cpanel.net. I guess there is nothing i can do about it right now, thanks for the information.

8. sehh

sehh Well-Known Member

Well, here is another example... today Exim was updated and there is no changelog anywhere, not even in the RPM.

Any suggestions?

9. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We haven't update Exim in STABLE for months. Please post (or PM me) the relevant section from your update log detailing the Exim upgrade.