The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two servers, Two sites, Two IP Addresses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarthCaniac, Mar 23, 2014.

1. DarthCaniac

DarthCaniac Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hello,

I have seen a few threads related to this, but none that are close enough for me to get a workable solution from.

Here is my setup:

a.com - 1.1.1.1 - Hosted at bluehost, and with WildCard SSL Cert.
    webnode.a.com - 1.1.1.2 - Hosted on a VPS, and with a copy of the a.com wildcard cert.
    b.com - 1.1.1.3 - Hosted on webnode, with it's own wildcard cert.

By playing around in WHM and cPanel, I was able to set up "b.a.com" as an addon domain, belonging to the cPanel account of a.com, and I was even able to get it to pick up a.com's wildcard certificate (Had to override the IP in WHM and the A-Record at BlueHost, so they both point b.a.com to 1.1.1.2).

Due to the nature of the project, SSL is not optional, or else I would just set up a CNAME record for b.a.com and be on my merry way! I have also looked into UCC SAN Certificates, but I would like to avoid them if possible, since they do not allow for wildcard sans on the main domain.

However, Now when I visit b.a.com or https://b.a.com, I just get the Default Website Page. I have waited several hours and flushed my DNS Resolver cache, but to no avail. Is there a better/different way I should go about implementing this?

Thanks!

2. DarthCaniac

DarthCaniac Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    So, I figured out a solution of sorts. Not my favorite, but hey, it works!

1: Disregard any of the steps above. Don't add b.a.com to b.com's add on domains. However, do create a A-Record at a.com/cpanel that points to the IP address for webnode.a.com (NOT b.com!).
    2: Add a cpanel account for "b.a.com", with the same IP as the webnode.
    3: After that, in WHM, install the wildcard certificate for *.a.com on b.a.com, and then wait a bit for DNS to resolve, and you should be good to go!
    To get the files the same, you will just have to set up a cron to rsync and chown the directories unfortunately.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Is there any reason you were not able to simply install the wildcard certificate on each domain name through the standard methods? Could you elaborate some more on the special setup that's required?

Thank you.

4. DarthCaniac

DarthCaniac Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Yes,

Since I don't have a SAN certificate, each one (a.com's and b.com's) certificates required a Dedicated IP address. WHM and cPanel would not let me assign a different IP address to an addon or subdomain.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should not have to assign a dedicated IP address to the addon domain name if your server supports SNI (RHEL 6/CentOS 6). If you do need to assign a dedicated IP address to an addon/subdomain, you can find instructions here:

Dedicated IP Address For Subdomains/Addon Domain

Thank you.