Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two servers using the same domain name

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by intuitivsol, Jul 17, 2017.

1. intuitivsol

intuitivsol Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am actually kind of trying the same thing. Can somebody please give you thoughts if I am doing this properly. Basically, I want my 2 cPanel servers to share DNS for redundancy instead. Here's the setup I am trying to achieve:

vps1.webserverone.com server with the ff nameservers:
    - n1.webserverone.com > IP address of vps1.webserverone.com
    - ns2.webserverone.com > IP address of vps2.webservertwo.com

vps2.webservertwo.com server with the ff nameservers:
    - n3.webserverone.com > IP address of vps2.webservertwo.com
    - ns4.webserverone.com > IP address of vps1.webserverone.com

Then I'm going to do DNS Clustering to both servers so they share DNS. Umm... do I have the correct idea here? Any thoughts? Thanks a bunch! I've been trying to search the net for tutorials. Please let me know of any links you may want to share! Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @intuitivsol,

Technically, you could enable DNS clustering and update the name server IP for NS2 to the IP address of the second server. However, WHM-to-WHM two-way sync configurations are not recommended and can lead to DNS errors. Ideally, you'd setup a third server with cPanel DNSOnly and have the DNS zones from both hosting servers handled by the DNSOnly server. Here are some documents you can review to familiarize yourself with DNS clustering:

Guide to DNS Cluster Configurations - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation
    DNS Cluster - Documentation - cPanel Documentation
    DNS FAQ - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!

3. intuitivsol

intuitivsol Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the advise cPanelMichael!

I won't be able to setup a DNSOnly server. So I'll have to make the most of my 2 separate cPanel servers running their own Bind namservers. I was able to enable DNS Clustering on both and added one to the other with the following confuguration:

from within vps2.webservertwo.com server (newer) WHM, I added vps1.webserverone.com server (older) selecting "synchronize" option and checking the "trust relationship". So the DNS path diagram now indicates:

vps2.webservertwo.com
    >> vps1.webserverone.com

then from vps1.webserverone.com, it lists the ps2.webservertwo.com server as "standalone". And the DNS path diagram just indicates:

vps1.webserverone.com

Given I only have these 2 web servers, is this the best configuration?

Also, should later on I get a 3rd web server, is it adviseable for me to try to add this up to the mix for greater redundancy? If so, how exactly should I set these 3 web servers up in terms of the DNS clustering?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator