The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two subdomain wildcards

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Trax2k, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Trax2k

Trax2k Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Can you have two wildcard subdomains?

For example:

We have our main cPanel serverONE with "domainone.com", we have one wildcard A record "*.domainone.com" pointing to ip 111.4443.455

When customers create a hosting account it's created on another serverTWO under the wildcard subdomain.

What we want to do is when a customer account is terminated on serverTWO we want a fallback wildcard subdomain on serverONE to point to "*.domaintwo.com" pointing to a CNAME record

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

If account is terminated, the DNS goes with it if not selected to keep the DNS? What exactly you wish to do is still unclear. Please elaborate a bit more, so it can be understood and can be better advised on..

If you want to have a default entry in the DNS template, that can be done through the cPanel provided templates where you can do the customization..

Refer to the below link:
    Edit Zone Templates - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you confirm where the DNS for "domaintwo.com" is hosted at under this scenario?

Thank you.

4. Trax2k

Trax2k Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I'll try explain again, don't worry i confused myself aswell :P

So we have a wildcard sub domain (*.subdomain.com) on the server that we allow customers to create their accounts under, so if they create a site for instance it'd be (clientsite.subdomain.com) when the account is deleted and if someone visited that website url they would be sent to a blank page or whatever page we put under (subdomain.com)

What we want to do is monetize the accounts that have be deleted by pointing the (subdomain.com) to a domain parking service.

5. Trax2k

Trax2k Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    domaintwo.com is a domain parking service.

I think i've confused myself and don't exactly need to have two wildcard sub domains.

Here's and example of the process i am talking about.

I've created a new account http://dommate.nmysite.info/ which had it's own server space, i have now terminated the account, the url http://dommate.nmysite.info/ now shows the page that we have under "nmysite.info"

We do not want it to show this or any page for that matter, what we want is for anyone visiting http://dommate.nmysite.info/ to be sent to our parking page service where we can monetize these dead accounts?

The only problem is that the parking service provides us with two options for forwarding our domain

ONE
    Change the name servers (NS records) of your domains to the following:

NS1.PARKING.COM
    NS2.PARKING.COM

TWO
    Create the following CNAME records in your DNS zone file.
    Note: This method will automatically add your domain names upon the arrival of your first visitor.

www - 68998.PARKING.COM

(blank) - 68998.PARKING.COM

Obviously option is no good to us but i'm unsure how to use option two without messing it all up?

* - 68998.PARKING.COM

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have you tried setting up "nmysite.info" to use name servers associated with the cPanel server, and then setup a wildcard subdomain for "*.nmysite.info" in the cPanel account associated with the "nmysite.info" domain name?

Thank you.