The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

-u named

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pcdior, Feb 23, 2005.

1. pcdior

pcdior Active Member

One of the new boxes I have keeps showing /usr/sbin/named -u named (4 times) in Show Current CPU Usage, I know with FreeBSD staring named is: starting: /usr/sbin/named -u named, but not sure why this is taking place, I am running Linux, updated kernel, up 2 date everything. Cannot find why it keeps doing this, I also know "Without "-u named", the command will run under root." Just cannot figure out why it keeps taking place. I searched forums and googled it as well.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Not sure what your question is. What you're seeing is perfectly normal under Linux, named is run up under the user named for security reasons and you're seeing it spawn multiple threads to deal with queries.

3. pcdior

pcdior Active Member

Thanks Chirpy, I just have not seen it multiple times on any other boxes, it was chewing a bit on load, this is a newer box, thanks for the schooling, and your valuable time!

:) Kimber

4. StevenC

StevenC Well-Known Member

The reason for the load "chewing" could be it was doing alot of query requests, or someone was using your server to do querys (recursive searches).