The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UCC SSL certs and WHM installable by default

Discussion in 'Security' started by Mangoose, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Mangoose

Mangoose Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have seen a few topics on UCC SSL certificates and issues with cpanel/whm in them.

Let me explain my reason for posting.

I run on a CentOS 6 - 64 bit dedicated linux box - from Private Layer Inc SolusVM as hypervisor to two cpanel controlled (WHM/Cpanel) VPS boxes which run CentOS 5 - 32 bit OSses. One one of these VMs I have one account for my multi-store setup which operates from one physical CS-Cart installation two store fronts on two separate domains, on on the primary domain domain.com and the second store front on domain2.com. If I check the padlock in just about any browser of either domains, the padlock gives me the insurance that the domains are secured by ssl encryption. However doing a check via sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html reveals that for my second store front the ssl is invalid or the error:

My questions are:

1. would an UCC SSL certificate from either Trustwave or Godaddy or some other vendor work out of the box for these domains

OR

2. should I purchase myself a separate ssl certificate for this one other store front

3. are there still issues with UCC SSL certificates under WHM cpanel that I should be aware of. I have seen posts dating back to 2011. I am not sure if these are still valid.

Best regards

Anthony

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Please keep in mind that SNI is not supported on CentOS 5. You could install multiple certificates on the same IP address if you migrated to CentOS 6. That being said, UCC/SAN certificates are supported in the environment you described, so it should work without custom workarounds. The following document helps answer your questions:

SSL FAQ and Troubleshooting

In particular:

Thank you.

3. Mangoose

Mangoose Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Michael would it however be possible to setup a UCC/SAN certficate for not only multiple domains but also two different entities that own their respective store front ?

If so in the current setup, how would I go about it step by step ?

Regards

Anthony

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you elaborate on this? What do you mean by different entities?

Thank you.

5. Mangoose

Mangoose Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    One store front belongs to an business associate of mine

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The certificate should still work, regardless of the website owner. However, as far as purchasing the certificate, you may want to consult with the SSL issuer with that question to determine if there are any stipulations about that.

Thank you.