Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

UDP port issue 100GIG a day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by areha, Dec 23, 2004.

1. areha

areha Well-Known Member

In bandwidth (ip/bandwidth), I have had 100GIG (!) of transfer for 1 day! (normal is at 0.02), outgoing.. How can I find out what is causing this? It´s going to be very expensive... UDP is multimedia-content, rigth? How can I track down this? In webhostmanager, bandwidth, I have total 5GB total transfer.. so why this large difference? Can it be that someone is mis-using the system?

Any suggestions or hints are very welcome.

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

This really is the wrong place to ask this. It sounds to me as if you might have a program running on the system that is sending out a UDP flood other wise known as a DoS attack. Find a competent admin to check this out ASAP as it could be quite serious, if this is the case. Have a look at your ps output and top see if anything suspicious is running. Loor through your tmp files find anything out of the ordinary. I've seen a few udp.pl ( Its probably not named this ) scripts pop up recently on a few boxes /tmp fortunately they were unable to do any harm as the systems had measures in place to prevent these sort of things.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...