The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UDP port issue 100GIG a day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by areha, Dec 23, 2004.

1. areha

areha Well-Known Member

In bandwidth (ip/bandwidth), I have had 100GIG (!) of transfer for 1 day! (normal is at 0.02), outgoing.. How can I find out what is causing this? It´s going to be very expensive... UDP is multimedia-content, rigth? How can I track down this? In webhostmanager, bandwidth, I have total 5GB total transfer.. so why this large difference? Can it be that someone is mis-using the system?

Any suggestions or hints are very welcome.

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

This really is the wrong place to ask this. It sounds to me as if you might have a program running on the system that is sending out a UDP flood other wise known as a DoS attack. Find a competent admin to check this out ASAP as it could be quite serious, if this is the case. Have a look at your ps output and top see if anything suspicious is running. Loor through your tmp files find anything out of the ordinary. I've seen a few udp.pl ( Its probably not named this ) scripts pop up recently on a few boxes /tmp fortunately they were unable to do any harm as the systems had measures in place to prevent these sort of things.