The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UIDs mix-up & Wrong Disk Space Usage

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by fidividi, May 5, 2014.

1. fidividi

fidividi Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

We use cpRemote from Syslint to backup our cpanel accounts/databases/emails/....

Here is the scenario:

Server A: cpanel server, used for hosting + used for backup space (all backups are stored under one cpanel account /home/xyz)

Server B: cpanel server, used for hosting and backups up everything using cpremote to "Server A"

What happened is today I received complaints from 2 customers on Server A, regarding wrong disk usage. Further look in the forum I came across: http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/disk-space-281802.html#post1178222

Although it took more than 6 hours, and it never finished and I had to quit the "find" command, I able to go through the output of that in the saved file, and came across those files in Server A: "/home/xyz/backups_from_server_B/user_from_server_b/...." having strange owner and group.

Basically, all those back up files were owned by the complaining user.

When consulting with cpremote, this is their response:

According to Syslint this is "QUITE normal", not normal to me at all. It is messing up my hosting/disk space stats and my business relations with my customers.

What do you think is best to do in this case?

Does cPanel scan the whole home directory for file/folders belonging to a user when calculating consumed disk space?

I appreciate any help on this matter.

Thank you.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I recommend using a backup server that is not an existing hosting server for added redundancy. However, with your existing setup, you could ensure the archives are owned by the "root" username by using root to upload the backups.

Thank you.

3. fidividi

fidividi Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael,

It is the plan, and work in progress, meanwhile, dealing with existing infrastructure, got to resolve this issue before more users affected.

I actually just got an update from Syslint:
    But the problem with what they are recommending, is originally how I started to have this issue. The whole reason I am using "root" user on backup server (Server A in my first post) to make the rsync-ed backups, is because when using a limited "Normal SSH Enabled"-User, the backup process gets jammed/stuck in the middle, and it just remains in the CPU. I am using CloudLinux/Cagefs, and after all the ups & downs, even Syslint couldn't resolve the problem.
    So that's why I started using "root" user, where everything as far as the backup itself works fine. But now, instead, i am facing this problem which is affecting my customers.

Thanks a lot for any further help.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To clarify, are these backup archives generated through cPanel or are you transferring the full home directories in a non-compressed fashion?

Thank you.