Unable to add DNS Only VPS to active DNS cluster

Bdzzld

Apr 3, 2004
Hi,

I'd like to add another DNS Only VPS to our active DNS Cluster, consisting of two cPanel dedicated servers with PowerDNS (primary, secondary DNS) and one DNS Only VPS running PowerDNS (tertiairy DNS). All four are running cPanel 84.0.19.

When I add the new DNS Only VPS to the primary DNS server, the DNS Cluster Overview shows as normal, but when I add the primary DNS server back to the new DNS Only VPS, the DNS Cluster Overview shows as follows:

dns-cluster-problem.jpg

If I reverse it (first adding the primary DNS to the new DNS Only VPS), the same problem occurs.

The primary, secondary and tertiairy DNS were running BIND, but have been upgraded to PowerDNS.

Newly added tokens do only have "DNS Cluster" access.

What can this be?

Thanking you in advance.

Bdzzld

Apr 3, 2004
@cPanelLauren: Alle four are running cPanel 84.0.19 and have DNS Cluster active.
The old DNS Only server and two dedicated servers were already a working DNS Cluster of three, running BIND. But because the new DNS Only server was running PowerDNS by default they needed to be switched from BIND to PowerDNS, which was automatically done.

Bdzzld

Apr 3, 2004
@cPanelLauren : Yes, the issue is also present in a PowerDNS Only setup (which it is now). I've even removed all tokens and links to the new DNS Only and started from scratch (with only the three original in the DNS CLuster), but that did not solve the issue. As soon as another server is added back, the forementioned occurs.

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Great thanks for that.

On the Webserver/s (unaware of your config so there could be multiple) If you go to WHM>>Service Configuration>>Nameserver Selection have any of them been toggled to disabled (whether or not you performed this action.)

There is another case CPANEL-30194 which is a similar error in Clustering but this was resolved in v84.0.09 and the behavior did not cause issues with the DNS cluster - just showed the other servers as an error.

I'd say if the first suggestion is untrue after looking at the servers to open a ticket so that we can investigate the matter more in-depth.

Thanks!

Bdzzld

Apr 3, 2004
@cPanelLauren: Nope, all nameservers are active and set to PowerDNS on both dedicated servers, as well as the old DNS Only server. DNS changes are also propagated normally to all three nameservers at the same time (direct links). Google DNS and OpenDNS are entered in the /etc/resolv.conf file.