The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to authenticate to SMTP server - smtp-auth

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by DWHS.net, Aug 18, 2010.

1. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sending email server wide stopped working today and every attempt to send email just get that error above.

Any ideas? I have the default settings for mail. The same as I had them for years and ti worked great.

2. whr

whr Active Member

How are you sending emails? Using an email client like thunderbird or Outlook or via webmail?

Are you able to send/receive emails via webmail? If that works, then you can stop worrying of the mailserver.

I have seen such errors in the newer versions of Thunderbird (especially if you are using a Beta version of TB).

Try unchecking the "Use name and password" option in the settings for the Outgoing (SMTP) server.

3. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am using the latest thunderbird, and unchecking the userpass does work for sending and receiving works either way. It that because it's using the same settings as the incoming? I mean how does it login to send email if there is no user pass.

Thanks I realize this is not a cpanel issue of course now.