Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Unable to authenticate to SMTP server - smtp-auth

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by WebHostPro, Aug 18, 2010.

1. WebHostPro

WebHostPro Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Sending email server wide stopped working today and every attempt to send email just get that error above.

Any ideas? I have the default settings for mail. The same as I had them for years and ti worked great.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. whr

whr Active Member

How are you sending emails? Using an email client like thunderbird or Outlook or via webmail?

Are you able to send/receive emails via webmail? If that works, then you can stop worrying of the mailserver.

I have seen such errors in the newer versions of Thunderbird (especially if you are using a Beta version of TB).

Try unchecking the "Use name and password" option in the settings for the Outgoing (SMTP) server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WebHostPro

WebHostPro Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I am using the latest thunderbird, and unchecking the userpass does work for sending and receiving works either way. It that because it's using the same settings as the incoming? I mean how does it login to send email if there is no user pass.

Thanks I realize this is not a cpanel issue of course now.