Unable to configure DKIM Private key on GoDaddy Shared Hosting cPanel linux.

Luis Urbina

Registered
Mar 8, 2016
Caracas, Venezuela
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi everyone

I have a litle problem with my GoDaddy Shared cPanel Server, I am managed my emails accounts with cpanel email account on my server example.com.

The staff CS Godaddy warned me about security issues such implementation with mails only to sell the product " - Removed - ", but you can fix the problems of falling into SPAM emails making some adjustments DNS zone.

I have adjusted the SPF and Sender ID records, I could create the entries in the DNS zone for the DKIM with the public key , but can not find where state or install the DKIM - Private- Key. I have SSH access and search for that version of linux have and could not find it , GoDaddy does not tell me anything about it.

If I can help I appreciate it .

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I have adjusted the SPF and Sender ID records, I could create the entries in the DNS zone for the DKIM with the public key , but can not find where state or install the DKIM - Private- Key. I have SSH access and search for that version of linux have and could not find it , GoDaddy does not tell me anything about it.
Hello :)

You can enable DKIM directly from cPanel via the "Authentication" option:

Authentication - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

Luis Urbina

Registered
Mar 8, 2016
Caracas, Venezuela
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Thanks Michael

CS Godaddy said that they disable this options on cPanel email section, but I found one post on the web that suggest how enable it for SSH, please tell me if this is possible or true.

If you have a Dedicated or Virtual server with cPanel, you can
log-in via the unix shell as root and issue the following commands:

/usr/local/cpanel/bin/spf_installer your_username
/usr/local/cpanel/bin/domain_keys_installer your_username

Replace your_username above with the name of your account you created in cPanel. The above two commands will setup SPF and Domain keys for each domain on that account.
Thabks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Those commands are only available if you have root access to the system. If you do, then the command to run for DKIM installation is:

Code:
/usr/local/cpanel/bin/dkim_keys_install $username
Thank you.

Luis Urbina

Registered
Mar 8, 2016
Caracas, Venezuela
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
ok, thanks again.
But how i can elevate my user to root, because sudo command doesnn't work. CS GoDaddy don't tell me what distro is present and few commands to reach some information about the enviroment don't work -> bash-command not found.

syslint

Verifed Vendor
Oct 9, 2006
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
That mean you don't have root access. You are on a shared hosting servers, so you can't . You may move to a vps or get a dedicated server, otherwise move to another provider who give dkim . Most of the hosting companies provide this.

ferrarisaacv

Registered
Apr 16, 2020
Los Angeles
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi Everyone,

Stating that the original post its old 2016. I Also dealt with same issues as original post from Luis Urbina. In the hopes this will help others. Found a worked around with GoDaddy or It might work with any share server provider that does not allow as stated from

cPanelMichael

You can enable DKIM directly from cPanel via the "Authentication" option:

Authentication - Documentation - cPanel Documentation.

Please note if this is tried always rotate your Private Key at least every 3 months.

Lets Start:

GoDaddys Shared cPanel Provides the following ones your in cPanel Admin.

Look for:

Email > Encryption

You may create a new key from ENCRYPTION for the email you need the DKIM for.

or

Scroll Below an you should see Import Key. Assuming you have a Third Party DKIM Private Key.

Ones that's done. Now add your DKIM Public Records to your MX Records you should be all set.