The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to create trash folder

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Distorted, May 4, 2006.

1. Distorted

Distorted Registered

Ok,

I didnt check my mail folder... at all... for about six months - I realise this is kinda stoopid of me but now i'm faced with a "Huge" problem.

My diskspace is maxed out and I now get an error whenever I try to delete anything:

Unable to create trash folder. You do not seem to have the necessary permissions! (System Error: Disk quota exceeded)

I have tried using neomail, horde and squirrel to delete the thousands of spam mails to clear up my disk space but they arn't working and squirrel actually gives me the same trash error message...

I thought I came close when I entered all the mailserver details into my OE and downloaded the emails (all 4 thousand odd) but I cant puge the mails...

Of course I have tried deleting through filemanager as well...

I'm in a bit of a pickle...

anyone have any ideas so that I can be free?

Cheers

Stitch x

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you're an end-user you're probably going to need to ask your hosting provider to help. They may be able to increase your disk quota temporarily so you can sort that out. Alternatively, you could remove some of the files within the actual account while you do that.

3. Distorted

Distorted Registered

I have tried removing files within the account... doesnt work...

This is a Cpanel error... surely someone knows of a way around?

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

This is not a cPanel error.

When you delete mail via IMAP, it is moved to a special folder. If that folder does not exist, the mail program will try and create it.

It's simply the case that if your account doesn't have enough free disk space, the folder cannot be created.

As Chirpy said, deleting some other files from within your account would increase the amount of free disk space and that should allow you to delete messages.

If you don't want to delete anything permanently, just move some files from your public_html folder to your computer, delete your mail, and then move them back again. That seems simple enough.

If you don't feel capable of doing this, you'd need to contact your hosting provider.

5. DalQuest

DalQuest Member

How about simply using outlook(express) to pull the mail from the account thus freeing up the used disk space? e-mail shouldn't be used as a document storage solution anyway.

-D-

6. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Well, indeed using POP to access the mail using any client would be a viable option.

As for using 'email' to permanently store data - that's generally the whole point of IMAP!

7. DalQuest

DalQuest Member

While I understand what IMAP is, this is a prime example of why "I" think it is a bad idea. Not everyone is going to like every technology and that goes for IMAP as well.

-D-