The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to delete email forwarders

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Nei Steiner, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Nei Steiner

Nei Steiner Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I followed a suggestion and created three forwarders for address 'admin', each forwarding to a different address. The forwarding itself works correctly, but when I try to delete any of these forwarders through cPanel, cPanel tells me the forwarder was successfully deleted but it remains on the list. This persists through logouts and logins.

I have shell access to my account, but was unable to locate the appropriate configuration data even with 'find ~ -exec grep -nH admin@mydomain.org {} \;'. Older cPanel documentation says that forwarders are stored in etc/valiases, but I have no such file. Can anybody tell me how to forcefully remove these forwarders?

Unfortunately I don't know what version of cPanel I'm using, but it should be very recent.

2. Nei Steiner

Nei Steiner Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I stumbled upon a different interface to delete forwarders. I had been trying to do it through the Email Accounts panel, which did not work, but I then tried through the Forwarders panel, which did work.

3. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Do you have root access ? Because mail forwarder are stored in /etc/valiases/DOMAIN-NAME file and to edit this file you need root access of your server.

4. Nei Steiner

Nei Steiner Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I do not have root access. I was looking through the etc directory in my home, but I now realize that the comments like yours really do refer to /etc and not just the user's local etc.

5. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If you have SSH access, you should still be able to edit /etc/valiases/DOMAIN. The file is owned by the cPanel user. If forwarders are not being deleted, it could be a permission issue on the server side. Either way, if you don't have root access there's little we can advise you on that would actually be useful - you'd need to contact your host.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I am happy to see you were able to address the issue. Note you may want to consult with your hosting provider if you experience additional issues with certain features in the cPanel interface.

Thank you.