The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to log into any webmail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Starteck2002, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Starteck2002

Starteck2002 Member

Hi, i have been working on this one for hours and have got nowhere so now asking for help on here.

I have a cpanel vps that has an odd email issue. Client only uses webmail and now he is able to go to www.domain.com/webmail where he is prompted to log in and select which mail program he wants to use...

No matter which one we select, we can't log in even though the passwords are correct. I have restarted all services, upgraded to latest stable version etc. No Joy.

Can anyone now suggest anything else i can try?

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Make sure that the IMAP service, either Courier-IMAP or Dovecot, is running. What output do you get when you run the following command as root?

Code:
    # netstat -nalp|grep :143
    Also try running the following command:

Code:
    # /scripts/mailperm
    This will check and correct any permissions issues with mail-related files and directories.

If this does not help, please submit a ticket, and we will be happy to investigate the problem directly for you.

3. Starteck2002

Starteck2002 Member

Hi Jared - thanks for the help. The output of that is:

tcp 0 0 :::143 :::* LISTEN 9985/couriertcpd

I have already run the mailperm script and have ran it again - no output from the script. The problem still persists :-(

I can log into webmail itself with no issue (www.domain.com/webmail) - once i get to any of the 3 clients i can't do anything else. Squirrelmail returns:

SquirrelMail version 1.4.20
    By the SquirrelMail Project Team
    ERROR
    Unknown user or password incorrect.
    Go to the login page

Clearly we know the username and password is ok otherwise how would i have logged in to domain.com/webmail?

Any ideas really appreciated as customer is starting to get a little irate :-(

4. Starteck2002

Starteck2002 Member

ticket is in: #620014

5. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It appears that John corrected this for you in the ticket, and that the actual cause of the problem was an incorrect hostname.

I wanted to point out that in a VPS environment, the hostname is generally set in the configuration for the virtual environment in the hardware node itself, so there is a chance that the hostname could revert back and cause the problem again. I recommend asking the administrator of the hardware node to make sure the hostname for your VE is set correctly, if you do not have access to the hardware node yourself.

6. paulg

paulg Member
    PartnerNOC

same problem - solution

For what its worth. I had the same problem and ended up submitting a support ticket. In my case, the problem was that the following mailbox directory never got created.

/home/username/mail/example.com/mailuser

Deleting and recreating the e-mail user thru cp or creating the directory via cmd line should fix it. Hope that helps somebody else. :)

Paul

#6 paulg, Apr 28, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2010