The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unable to password protect directory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ltoso, Jan 21, 2013.

1. ltoso

ltoso Member

Jan 4, 2009
    i password protected my directory using password protect directory feature inside cpanel, it is working but now i want to unprotect my directory i tried to find the list of authorised users in the password protect directory option so that i can delete the user, but there i am unable to see any user list, i have root privileges to the system as well as it is a VPS

please recommend
    #1 ltoso, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

May 20, 2003
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To remove the protection you don't need to remove the user, just untick the box in the same area you password protected the directory. If you'd like to remove the user, you'll find him in the .htpasswds directory in the root of your account, outside the public_html.

You'll note the . on the front end of that directory name. This means its hidden. Assuming you're looking around via the cPanel File Manager to find this, you'll need to expose hidden dot files and folders. On the main page of your cPanel, at bottom, click the "Reset all interface settings" link you see there. This will refresh the page. Now click File Manager to reopen it, and you'll see some options on a popup, one of them is for "Show Hidden Files (dot files)" be sure to tick that.

You should now be able to see the .htpasswds directory I believe. Give it as go. :)