Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Unable to read /etc/quota.conf at /scripts/resetquotas line 23

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HostingZero.com, Apr 3, 2007.

1. HostingZero.com

HostingZero.com Active Member

Recently one of our servers suffered a hard disk failure. I copied everything to the new drive except quota.conf. Now, I don't have any access to quota.conf on the old hard drive. How can I reset everyone's quota to their plan's default? I tried modifying an account's quota, it said "The quota has been set to xxx" but when I check the account again, it still says "Unlimited" disk space.

Can anyone help please?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There are a couple of issues:

1. Recreate /etc/quota.conf:

The file should be owned by root and chmod 644. Recreate it in the following format:
    account=quota

Where account is the accountname and quota is the value in megabytes.

2. Make sure the OS quotas are actually working

Run /scripts/fixquotas this will check that the OS quotas are running and will also run /scripts/resetquotas which reads the quota.conf file

I'll also attach a perl script that I wrote that will recreate the quota.conf file with the default quotas for the users package so long as they have been set up correctly.

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HostingZero.com

HostingZero.com Active Member

Thanks so much! That worked well. Much appreciated :)