The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to release nameserver IP's

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by agentblack, Dec 27, 2009.

1. agentblack

agentblack Well-Known Member

I hate to start another thread on this topic, but I have searched through the answers provided here, and none of them work.

My server has since changed management/owners, and we are trying to remove the old nameservers from the IP's they are attached to, however it wont release them. They are stuck together pretty good if i must say so.

I have changed them in the primary set up, ive deleted out the old ns's from the dns templates, and i even assigned a new a record for the new ns's, and it still will not update them.

I'm at a loss right now on what to do. Any thoughts or help would be great because it's hosed up an entire project..

Warmest Regards

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

If you are talking of WHM >> "Nameserver IPs" option then yes, it is quite weird. It keeps on showing you the old entries even if you remove them, better way is to change them from command line.

Login to your server as root and edit the file

Just replace the previous name servers with the new one and make sure you chattr the file.

Make sure you remove the attribute from the file when you would like to edit the file.

3. agentblack

agentblack Well-Known Member

im not exactly sure what you mean by that. if i delete the old ones, i will be able to log back in and add the correct ones yes?