The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to send mail to accounts on server that have their own mail servers

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by d-woo, Oct 6, 2003.

1. d-woo

d-woo Well-Known Member

Hi,

What changes do I have to make in order to be able to send mail to domains on my server which have their own mail servers.

Two domains, in particular on my server have their own Exchange servers. MX records point to the I.P. addresses of those exchage servers.

However, when I attempt to send mail to any of the two accounts from my account (also on the same server) I get a bounces/undeliverable message.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

The MX records take care of the DNS. But in addition to this, you also have to tell Exim that it should not attempt to deliver email for these domains on your server. You should do this by editing /etc/localdomains and deleting the references to these domains.

Finally, because /scripts/mailperm tries to fix many email issues, you have to add the domains with off-server mail severs to your /etc/remotedomains. That way the domains are not automatically added back into /etc/localdomains every time you run /scripts/mailperm ;)

#2 Stefaans, Oct 6, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2003
  3. d-woo

d-woo Well-Known Member

Thank you so very much!

4. d-woo

d-woo Well-Known Member

I also received this:

The Trouble Ticket you entered into the Members Section of EV1Servers.net has been modified. The following notes have been made to your ticket.
    ------------------------
    Dear Customer,

You need reverse DNS for all IP addresses that will be sending e-mail. Open a Add Reverse DNS ticket and include the domains and the IP addresses they correspond with.

Thank You for Choosing EV1Servers

-----------------

should I implement both solutions?