The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to SSH into server - Network Error: Connection refused

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slinky, Jul 17, 2011.

1. slinky

slinky Well-Known Member

After I used putty and a chown command for a directory above the root of a web account - something that shouldn't affect anything on the server - I find myself unable to SSH into the server at all, whether using putty or even using cpanel itself. I can't even use the java based SSH to login, constantly getting a "connection refused" error. I checked the firewall report which emails me and there is no indication it has prevented my IP.

One note - the folder I chowned happens to be named var and it's the only thing I can think of that may have caused the problem, an unintended adverse effect.

WinSCP also fails to connect for the same reason but Filezilla for FTP does work. Same settings, same port. I cannot explain this.

I tried to restart the SSH server but that doesn't do anything.

Network Error: Connection refused

---------

CPANEL's SSH access: Could not establish a connection to the host: Connection refused.

------------

CPANEL's Shell Login: Sorry could not connect. Java.net connectexception Connection Refused

#1 slinky, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. Peoplespaces

Peoplespaces Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello:

Did you or someone else change the SSH port on the server?

3. ChrisRHS

ChrisRHS Well-Known Member

Hello there,

If you changed the permissions of the /var folder, I am going to guess that because these services are refusing connection due to the fact that they all use this folder for logging (/var/log), and they are now locked up, because they do not have permission to access the folders they need. You may need to contact your host and have them go in and check things out for you.

Chris