The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unblocking my domain name

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jferdyk, Oct 21, 2003.

1. jferdyk

jferdyk Registered

I want to transfer my domain name to a new registrar, but my current registrar is blocking or holding my name. There should not be any restrictions (it's past the first 60 days, I've made all payments, etc.) They are very uncommunicative and unhelpful. The company I want to move to said they allow their users to unblock their names via their control panel. My present company uses the cPanel. Can I unblock my own domain name on the cPanel? Any help will be appreciated.

2. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

This is a registrar issue. CPanel is a web hosting control panel not a registrar control panel.

If your web host is acting as your registrar, then they may have a seperate tool for managing your domain name issues.

If your domain name is handled by a third party, then you will need to contact the third party to get the domain name unlocked.

<personal rant>The whole business of "locking" domain names should be outlawed as far as I am concerned. Your registrar should offer some sort of opt in or opt out automatic renewal system to protect your domain names from expiring. If you are not enrolled in such a system (and therefor not renewing your domain name before it expires) then your domain name should be "up for grabs". 30 or 60 day protection schemes do not benefit anyone other than the registrar (who hopes by locking your domain name that you will renew with them).</personal rant>

3. NeutralGold

NeutralGold Well-Known Member

You need to make sure that you don't have your domain name set on "LOCK" Check the who-is output on your domain name and see what kind of lock is placed on it, there are a couple of types of domain locks, 1 being a registrar lock and the other being by yourself, I lock all my domains because your domain can be hijacked. Just ask the guy at sex.com :D