The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Undead MySQL Process

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doctor, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Doctor

Doctor Well-Known Member

I am getting this from 2 of my servers after updating CPanel to the latest CURRENT version.

PID USER PRI NI SIZE RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM TIME CPU COMMAND
    4609 mysql 9 0 81040 59M 13148 S 54.7 11.9 251:47 1 mysqld
    5713 root 14 0 1108 1108 868 R 1.1 0.2 0:01 0 top
    4436 root 8 0 3236 1232 1196 S 0.5 0.2 0:12 1 httpd

I have killed it many times, restarted mysql and even rebooted the machine but still it comes back. I have turned off persistent connection but no effect. Can someone please help? :confused:

2. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It keeps coming back because that is your mysql server daemon. It's suppossed to be there if you want sql.

3. Doctor

Doctor Well-Known Member

My other servers run MySQL as well but I don't see an undead MySQL process on one of them. Why?

4. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It may be that on this particular server that you have heavy users using it. For example one or two very busy forums that use mysql on the backend can it keep it busy.

5. Doctor

Doctor Well-Known Member

If I don't know my own servers that well, I would agree with you. The thing is that all my servers have active forum sites. But these servers that haven't been upgraded to the latest CURRENT version don't have undead MySQL processes while the 2 that have been upgraded are showing them. Secondly, before I did the upgrade, these 2 servers that host the same number of sites for so many months had never experienced any mysql load issue nor had they shown undead MySQL processes when I type 'top'.

I like to think simple but all these facts and the load issue are simply pointing the source of the problem to the upgrade. I have downgraded these servers back to STABLE but they still have this problem.