The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Undeletable Name Servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FrozenWire, Jun 7, 2004.

1. FrozenWire

FrozenWire Member

Hello. I have a web server with Cpanel/WHM installed and when I list the name server IP's, there are 4 listed.

The first 2 are correct and were ones that I added manually. However, the last two are not mine and were never added by me or anyone on my staff. When I attempt to delete them, it states that they are registered with a valid ICANN registar and cannot be deleted. I tried to remove them manually by editing the /etc/nameserverips file but when I click "MANAGE NAME SERVER IP's", they are readded.

How is this happening and how do I delete them?

2. dianaward

dianaward Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Those nameservers are showing up because

they are still attached to the IP addresses assigned to your server. You can still use those IPs for your accounts, but until the nameservers attached to them are removed by the registrars, you won't be able to use them for nameservers. If this causes you a problem, contact your host company and they may be able to reassign IPs to your server.

3. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There is a long story to this situation (as to the why it happens) and if you search enough on this Forum you will find it.

The short story is to edit /etc/nameserverips and remove whatever you don't want, replacing with a zero. Then save & exit. Now make sure to chattr +i /etc/nameserverips and then you don't have to worry. Just remember to use chattr -i when you want to edit the file again.

4. bouncer

bouncer Member

:) If you want to use them for nameservers just tick "Allow Sharing Nameserver Ips" in "Tweak Settings" and you don't have to do all the rest that has been suggested above, unless you want to.