The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

undelivered emails - 'A' entry in zone file

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sirius60, Aug 28, 2010.

1. sirius60

sirius60 Registered

Aug 26, 2010
    I am completely new to all this and I'm not even sure if this is the right forum for me to be asking these questions - maybe I need a more general learning forum. If this isn't the right place I would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction of where I could go ;)

On Wednesday we upgraded from a reseller to a VPS and since then we haven't been able to recieve any emails.

In Outlook it just keeps refusing the log on details...

So i've had a look through WHM (without a clue of what I'm doing) and in Mail Queue Manager I've found 186 undelivered emails. As I was reading through them I found an email with the following message...

[IMPORTANT: Do not ignore this email.
    The hostname (******.****** resolves to . It should resolve to ***.***.***.**. Please be sure to correct /etc/hosts as well as the 'A' entry in zone file for the domain.

Some are all of these problems can be caused by /etc/resolv.conf being setup incorrectly. Please check this file if you believe everything else is correct.

You may be able to automatically correct this problem by using the ' Add an A entry for your hostname ' under ' Dns Functions ' in your Web Host Manager]

I have checked the 'Add and A entry for your hostname' and the IP address is the same as the one in the email, so now I'm stumped.

Firstly could someone help me out with this and secondly should I even be trying or should I apologise and hand in my notice at work lol
  2. linux7802

linux7802 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Its very common issue with the newly setup servers. Ping your hostname and check if it pointing to correct ip or not? If hostname pointing to correct ip then open following files and compare setting present on your servers files.

1st check hosts file

cat /etc/hosts localhost
    xx.xx.xx.xx server

2nd check resolv.conf file

cat /etc/resolv.conf
    nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx
    nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx

Confirm resolv.conf ips with your VPS provider.

Note : As you are having VPS, then you must set hostname from main node as well. Contact VPS provider and ask them to set proper hostname for your VPS from main node where you VPS is created.