The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Underlying mail server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by cpanelbuddy, Jun 21, 2010.

1. cpanelbuddy

cpanelbuddy Member

May 8, 2010
    Does anyone know which underlying server does cPanel configure? For example, will it use the built in sendmail, or will it install something like Postfix or QMail? If say it uses sendmail, and I want to see how it works, I can always check the,, access, etc files cPanel is configuring behind the scenes?

Also, even if I'm running a dedicated box, I still need to get the host company's SMTP server IP and port number to input these into cPanel, right?
  2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Houston, TX
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel uses Exim

The MTA (Mail Transport Agent) that is installed and used by cPanel is Exim. cPanel does not use Postfix, Qmail or Sendmail. There is a /usr/sbin/sendmail binary file for compatibility purposes, but it is a part of Exim and acts as an interface to Exim. It is not related to the Sendmail MTA.

All changes to the Exim configuration need to be made using the Exim Configuration Editor in the WebHost Manager. Any edits made outside of this interface will not be preserved when cPanel updates Exim. Documentation for this interface is available here:

Exim Configuration Editor

If you are not familiar with Exim, I strongly recommend that you consult its documentation before you make any changes to the Exim configuration. The default Exim configuration that comes with cPanel works without any changes on almost all servers, and should not be edited without a specific reason. The Exim documentation is available here:

Documentation for exim

By default, this should not be necessary. Your server will contact the destination server directly to send mail. The only reason you would need your host's information is if you intend to use one of your host's servers as a relay. By default, most service providers allow their customers' servers to send mail directly without needing to use a relay. You would need to contact your service provider and ask if you are required to use a relay in order to send mail.