Erik Ellsinger

Sep 25, 2015
Sweden
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The new DNS-editor doesn't allow me to use _ in CNAME:s. When I try to use a _ in the field called Record I get this message:

The domain segment must only contain the following characters: a-z, A-Z, 0-9, and -

So the error message needs to be changed also because I'm pretty sure you should be allowed to use _ in CNAME:s.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

Upon testing, I see that underscores are allowed in the CNAME record itself, but not in the domain field. To clarify, are you seeking to setup a CNAME record for an entry such as "subdomain_123" in the domain field for the new CNAME record? If so, would you also provide some information about the purpose of this record so I can add it to an internal case if necessary?

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Seems like this has already been fixed, case CPANEL-13262.
Hello,

Yes, that case was included with cPanel 64.0.27:

Fixed case CPANEL-13262: Allow underscores in CNAME records.

Can you confirm you are using an earlier build when encountering this issue?

Thank you.

tbmerger

Registered
Jun 9, 2020
Tbilisi, Georgia
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello,

This is an old thread but I want to revive it.

I'm trying to add a CNAME record but cpanel won't allow it because of the underscore characters in the third/fourth tier domain:

Name: aweber_key_a._domainkey.exampledomain.com
Record: aweber_key_c.send.aweber.com

Can you fix it?

Reactions: OKDoug

SimeonN

Registered
Aug 21, 2020
United Kingdom
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello,

This is an old thread but I want to revive it.

I'm trying to add a CNAME record but cpanel won't allow it because of the underscore characters in the third/fourth tier domain:

Name: aweber_key_a._domainkey.exampledomain.com
Record: aweber_key_c.send.aweber.com

Can you fix it?
I'm having the same exact issue with Aweber DKIM Keys. cPanel won't allow me to enter the first part of them, ie... 'aweber_key_a.' and I contacted hosting support and had them add them and I looked, and they were then correct, but a short while later I checked again and they had changed and that portion of the keys had been removed once again! Something very odd happening here with cPanel.

Reactions: OKDoug

OKDoug

Registered
Sep 4, 2020
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Same issue here trying to set up DKIM with Aweber.

Aweber CNAMEs for DKIM.png

When the above is entered, cPanel does not like an underscore in the fourth-level subdomain:

cPanel Does Not Like Aweber SubDomains.png

But removing the underscores in the fourth-level subdomain, the underscore in the third-level subdomain is okay and cPanel will accept the record:

cPanel Wants No Underscores.png

This record is not what is needed to make the service work, though. Just demonstrating it is okay with underscores in third-level subdomain, but not fourth-level subdomain.

I'm using cPanel version 70.0.69:

cPanel Server Info.png

Last edited:

SimeonN

Registered
Aug 21, 2020
United Kingdom
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Same issue here trying to set up DKIM with Aweber.

View attachment 67665

When the above is entered, cPanel does not like an underscore in the fourth-level subdomain:

View attachment 67689

But removing the underscores in the fourth-level subdomain, the underscore in the third-level subdomain is okay and cPanel will accept the record:

View attachment 67681

This record is not what is needed to make the service work, though. Just demonstrating it is okay with underscores in third-level subdomain, but not fourth-level subdomain.

I'm using cPanel version 70.0.69:

View attachment 67677
I finally got this done, but in order to do it required having hosting support escalate the matter to a higher level of support because it requires using WHM to accomplish, cPanel simply won't do it as it is now I was told. So I would advise you to contact your hosting support team and explain to them that someone able to use WHM must place these CNAME records into your DNS for you. Also, don't let them tell you that the DKIM should be done as TXT records not CNAME records. They can be done either way, and I had one tech support rep try to adapt Aweber's supplied DKIM to the TXT method, that will nto work, these are two different DKIM methods and are NOT interchangeable. I also had another tech just alter the DKIM as CNAMES so the cPanel would accept them. That won;t work either! Hopefully this info will get you there a bit more expeditiously than was the case for me.