Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Understanding exim log

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by Cesar Brasil, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Cesar Brasil

Cesar Brasil Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I have this log below where H = localhost appears and would like to understand why. I tested the webmail and shows the name of the server, by IMAP shows the name of the local machine. I would like to know why localhost appears.

Code:
    [root@mx18 /home/someusr/public_html]# exigrep 1gsu1C-003dCu-Hb /var/log/exim_mainlog
    2019-02-10 12:39:54 cwd=/var/spool/exim 3 args: /usr/sbin/exim -Mc 1gsu1C-003dCu-Hb

2019-02-10 12:39:54 1gsu1C-003dCu-Hb <= name@example.com H=(localhost) [108.179.xxx.xx]:37164 I=[108.179.xxx.xx]:587 P=esmtpa A=dovecot_plain:name@example.com S=4315 T="Charlotte" from <name@example.com> for name@example.com
    2019-02-10 12:39:54 1gsu1C-003dCu-Hb => name <name@example.com> F=<name@example.com> R=virtual_user T=dovecot_virtual_delivery S=4476 C="250 2.0.0 <name@example.com> sM3uJPpvYFx2Mw0AUFo53g Saved"
    2019-02-10 12:39:54 1gsu1C-003dCu-Hb Completed
    Thank you.

2. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    cPanelLauren likes this.
  3. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Please let us know if you still have any questions after reading that tutorial linked by @rpvw!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Cesar Brasil

Cesar Brasil Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Thanks rpvw and Lauren for the reply, but my question has not been resolved. My question is because in the log submitted it appears as host "localhost". Because I sent it via webmail and the host name appears. When IMAP sending from an external message manager appears the name of the machine on which the message manager is installed. When sending via SSH, the gateway appears. I am trying to find out by which localhost submission method appears, or if it is random.

5. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Generally speaking, localhost is just mail that originates from your server, in a lot of cases mailman mail will show as originating from localhost, mail originating from system generated mail etc, mail coming from a mail client could also exhibit this behavior though it would show the originating IP address.