The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Understanding Re-selling, DNS and WHM

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by argus, Mar 25, 2005.

1. argus

argus Member

Hi there,

there's some good gaps in my understanding of how this all works. I am brand new to this am considering going the managed/dedicated server route and using whm/cpanel as my experience as a reseller was a bit of a letdown due to poor service above me. My real ignorance is in the DNS configuration. I wish to offer transparent hosting to resellers. When loading WHM the first time I am directed to the Edit Setup screen. Can anyone fill in the gaps for me as to the what/who/why of hostname, nameservers and such?

I got off to a bad start and just need a tiny push in the right direction. Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

You need a domain name to use for your server, if you have resellers, you might want to make this anonymous so to speak, register it via a proxy registrar, so people can't look up your company details from whois.

So, lets say you choose, resellerserver999.com as your domain name.

You need to call your machine a name (host name) so that it can be resolved, this is also used by exim and any other program that adds the hostname header.

Lets say you call your machine, 'galactica'

In the whm opening screen, you need to add 'galactica.resellerserver999.com' in the hostname box.

You will need to setup name servers for your clients to use, so lets say you are going to use

ns1.resellerserver999.com
    ns2.resellerserver999.com

Add those as the default and secondary name servers within the boxes for the dns entries.

Complete the setup and then proceed to add a dns zone for resellerserver999.com or create an account for it using whm, if you will want to use it for anything.

There are a few ways to do this, this is what I would do.

In the dns zone for resellerserver999.com you need the following entries for your hostname and name servers,

galactica IN A 123.123.123.123 (Your servers main IP)
    ns1 IN A 123.123.123.124 (An IP for the primary name server, choose any free IP, but I wouldn't use the servers main IP for this.)
    ns2 IN A 123.123.123.125 (An ip for the secondary name server, choose any free IP)

Once that is done, register the name servers at your registrar.

That should be a good start.

3. argus

argus Member

Thanks very much for the informative reply - very helpful.

-Arg