The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

understanding subdomains and access to each domain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bizeesheri, Feb 27, 2011.

1. bizeesheri

bizeesheri Member

I have a reseller account and just moved yesterday to my new host. Previous host was a windows server and now I'm on linux, I think. Using Cpanel.

From prior experience, I simply added a domain, the folder was created and I could manage it via my control panel from there by adding emails and so forth.

Today, I moved some domains over using addon domain. That went well, then when I went to add emails, I noticed that the domain was listed in the dropdown and in addition the domain.mymaindomain. Also I noted that each account had their own FTP. I also noted that a folder was created in the public_html folder

I don't actually resell my accounts, I have a reseller for my own domains. I don't need subdomains for each of these, it clutters up everything. Nor do I need a separate FTP login. (when adding an addon domain, I am required to fill in the subdomain/ftp box).

When I use my WS_FTP, I do see all of the domains that way using my regular login information. I would be working via that program for the most part.

Am I forced into the subdomain realm for some reason?

2. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi Bizeesheri, Welcome to cPanel family!
    For your issue, since you have a reseller, you have the advantage of creating independent cPanel accounts for each of your domains, rather than cluttering them up in a single cPanel account as addons.
    The reason you see subdomains for each addon while creating emails is because this is how cPanel creates addons. An addon is actually a parked domain on a subdomain, but has all features of an independent domain.
    For a reseller, I would definitely suggest you create independent cPanel accounts for each of your domains via your admin panel accessible at URL: https://yourserverIP:2087. A reseller is no harder to manage than a single cPanel account with many addons if you get the hang of it. Secondly, you never know when one of your sites outgrows others and you need to move it. Independent account for each domain helps in this case, although cPanel are working on ways to move addons to independent accounts as well but that is still in the pipeline.

3. bizeesheri

bizeesheri Member

Thanks for your precise and easy to understand answer. I did as suggested, created a new panel for one of my domains (so far). Then logged out, went back to confirm that logging in, I can choose which account I want. It is a bit cumbersome, but I don't get into them very often.

The proposed change will be nice when implemented.

Thanks (I'm sure I'll be back for more questions). I can usually manage my way through to an answer most times.

4. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Another tip, go to "WHM >> Account Information >> List Accounts" and click the cPanel icon next to each account and you should be able to log in easily. I don't prefer the drop down much especially on servers with many accounts.

You are always welcome.