The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Understanding "Top 50 mail rejection reasons by message count"

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by GoWilkes, Dec 18, 2009.

1. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In WHM, under "View Mail Statistics", there's a header of "Top 50 mail rejection reasons by message count".

Beneath this header, I found:

13416 "The mail server detected your message as spam and has prevented delivery (100)."
    4499 Rejected MAIL: Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821 4.1.1.1)

There are a few more, but these are the two with error messages that I didn't understand. Does this mean that 13,416 emails were sent from the server, but were rejected as spam? And that 4,499 were denied because of the HELO name?

I don't think that I've sent 18,000 emails since I got this server (3 or 4 years ago), and my Relayer never lists anything unexpected. How do I track down the leak?

This is a semi-managed, dedicated server, and there are only 2 email accounts on it (me and my wife).

TIA,

Jason

2. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm finding nothing on this in Google, so I'm at a loss. I'm unclear on whether this is reporting emails sent from my server that were rejected, or if it's reporting that my server rejected these incoming emails as spam.

Preventing 18,000 spam emails from being delivered to me is good, but if my server SENT 18,000 spam emails, then I need to do something about it. Since most of my emails are now being rejected by Yahoo, I worry that there's something wrong, but I don't know what it would be.

Can someone look at their "View mail statistics" under WHM, and just see if this section lists something similar?

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I don't have the first but do have the second, 8890 (from 12-13 to 12-18).

4. pixelwerx

pixelwerx Member

No need to be concerned.

"Top 50 mail rejection reason by message count — Displays the top 50 reasons email messages are rejected by your server. "

View Mail Statistics