The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Understanding VPS memory graphs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kreut, Dec 27, 2014.

1. kreut

kreut Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,

I have just moved to a VPS and at the time have very few visitors each day at the moment. I took a look at the amount of Memory that is being used via cPanel, and it looks like I'm using an average of 882MB out of 1.1 GB allowed. (Please see attached graph.) I'm not sure how to tell if this is a lot (Kind of seems that way?) or how to investigate whether there are any issues. As I'm a total noob hosting on a VPS server, so any help to get started in how to analyze the Memory of my site via the graphs (or some other cPanel tool?) would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

2. madmanmachines

madmanmachines Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

Please understand how Linux makes use of free RAM:

--
    Help! Linux ate my RAM!
    --

The graph you provided likely counts cache RAM as used. This is expected. WHM > Home »Server Status »Service Status > System Information does not count cached RAM. WHM > Home »Server Status »Server Information provides a better break down as well. You may also make use of the `sar'(already installed) command from SSH:

--
    /http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2011/03/sar-examples/
    --

With that said, cPanel is a bit RAM intensive than your default CentOS install, but this is expected given the features provided. Though, 1G RAM should be enough to run a decent site with cPanel, should everything be configured properly.

Thanks,

3. danrussell

danrussell Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi :),

Check if any user to consuming memory. You can use top command for the same.
    If you have difficulty in managing your VPS, you may consider to take help from any professional Technical support team to tweak your server.
    /http://www.webhostingtalk.com/w/index.php/Companies_providing_tech_support

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator