Bryce1234

Registered
Oct 11, 2021
uk
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
My inbox's always end up full. I have two accounts. One seems to save to the mail in Mac so when I delete on cPanel they are still on computer/. phone. The other when I delete erases everything on computer and phone Mail. I've just made the mistake of clicking "delete permanently" on this box. Now I have lost everything in my inbox. Can I recover? How do I make sure that the emails are downloaded to my system on mail, Mac and phone.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! You'd want to make sure you're using IMAP to check the mailboxes as that is set to leave a copy on the server by default. POP actually downloads the mail to the workstation.

There isn't a way to recover deleted files unless you have a backup of the account.

Bryce1234

Registered
Oct 11, 2021
uk
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Thanks. That's frustrating!

So POP will downloaded to the workstation meaning my iMac/ iPhone etc? It must also leave a copy on server for a period as it often ends up full too?

IMAP leaving on server. -would I be right in likening this to a cloud system? SO that there's never actually a hard copy as such saved to iMac etc?

ETA - the issue is with the IMAP set inbox where I have deleted on cPanel and no copy has been retained on iMac desktop, so I am unsure why you suggest I should have IMAP?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Both protocols can either leave, or not leave, a copy on the server, depending on how things are configured. By default, when you connect with IMAP, you are not downloading messages to your local machine. However, if you delete them, both from the Inbox and from the trash, they are actually removed from the server completely and no longer exist.

It actually sounds like you may want to the POP tool with the option to keep a copy on the server. Details on how to configure this are located here:

POP will actually download the messages to your local machine, but that guide shows how you can keep a copy on the server-side with Mail.