The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unexplained Cron Daemon E-mails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by SteveC, Jan 5, 2005.

1. SteveC

SteveC Member

Everyday I receive two Cron Daemon e-mails. One simply says:

"Backup not enabled"

and the other says:

"/bin/sh: line 1: /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/interchange/bin/expireall: No such file or directory"

I have been searching all over WHM to find out what is causing these messages and how I can correct the issues so I no longer receive them, but have had no luck. I am using WHM 9.9.9 cPanel 9.9.9-R14.

Any ideas? Thanks

2. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

The backup one is normal and obvious.
    You don't have backups enabled.

The second one seems to be Interchange related... if you're not running interchange then you should make sure that it's disabled and not running. Check your cronjobs for the one that is doing those checks. (The cronjob sending that email should be part of the subjectline of the email you got).

3. SteveC

SteveC Member

Yes, backup is not enabled, but I shouldn't be receiving a message telling me that everyday. These e-mails just started coming the last few days. The subject line is: Cron <root@server1> /scripts/cpbackup

I'll have to look into the Interchange thing more, but Interchange is definitely not enabled.

4. SteveC

SteveC Member

Ok, I've removed the interchange line from crontab and have also removed the line that had cpbackup on it. Hopefully doing so won't break anything.

5. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

Cron /scripts/cpbackup

This problem for me started on Jan 4.

The daily Cron /scripts/upcp email's last few lines on Jan 3 and all previous emails before that read:

Scanning.....Done
    Scanning suexec_log.Done
    rdate: Operation not permitted: could not set system time: Mon Jan 3 02:14:29 2005

Backup Not Enabled.

The daily Cron /scripts/upcp email's last few lines on Jan 4 and after read:

Scanning.....Done
    Scanning suexec_log...Done

(Note the missing last couple of lines).

On Jan 4 I received 2 Cron /scripts/upcp emails both identical the first posted 5.13pm the second posted 8.33pm both with the missing last couple of lines.

On Jan 5 at 4pm I received Cron /scripts/cpbackup email with the same subject line as SteveC had which read:

Backup Not Enabled

On Jan 5 at 8.33pm I received Cron /scripts/upcp with the same missing couple of lines as the day before.

On Jan 6 at 4pm a repeat of Jan 5's 4pm Cron /scripts/cpbackup and now waiting for the Cron /scripts/upcp to arrive.

So something changed between Jan 3 and Jan 4 for no apparent reason. Now instead of 1 email I now have 2 a 50% increase :confused:

I did not get the Interchange email.

Anyone else having these issues or have any clue as to what it's all about and who may have found a possible solution?

6. dezignguy

The separate backup email is normal and seems to be intentional on cpanel's part... read the changelog. They split upcp into upcp and cpbackup... i guess for making it easier to schedule them to occur at different times?

7. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

I totally agree. The script should drop the email if backup is disabled. We get enough neadless email as it is to sort and read every day.
    Care to take a guess as to where this is mentioned in the changelog...in the format 9.9.9 (build 80) - EDGE Tree Tue Jan 4 07:19:09 2005...So I can confirm this. I read the change log in WHM several times a day but must have missed this one. Thanks.

Anyone else care to take a stab at a "guess" at the reason(s) behind this change. :rolleyes:

8. dezignguy

Well, I think it was around here:
    9.9.9 (build 52) - EDGE Tree Linux i686 Wed Dec 29 20:56:16 2004

I'm kinda reading things into the changelog entry, since it doesn't specifically say what we're looking for... but I think this entry is what I noticed after a /scripts/updatenow got the latest upcp and new cpbackup, and when I noticed I was getting the cpbackup emails.

Anyways... my guess is that the backup functionality was separated from the main update process to space out two potentially heavy load causing processes and give the backups enough time to finish - to give the system time to recover in between them.

9. PvUtrix

PvUtrix Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yeah, bloody annoying isn't it?!