The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unhappy with Cpanel NOC Provider

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bmcpanel, Apr 17, 2003.

1. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

If we are unhappy with our NOC that provides our external license, can we change providers?

2. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Don't see why not, it's not that big of deal?

3. bmcpanel

Hmmm. Okay. But, has anyone done this before? The problem is, my NOC provider has treated us very unprofessionally. I consider them to be capable of anything, including being vindictive if we try to switch. I would want to know for sure if someone has done this before, and how to initiate it.

For clarification, our NOC provider provides us with CPanel only. Our servers are in a different, professional data center.

4. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Find another provider first, explain to them what's happening, make sure you have your new license ahead of time, have new provider help with installing new license.

One other major one, any and all passwords that the old provider may have, change before telling them.

5. X-Istencedotcom

X-Istencedotcom Well-Known Member

That last one is a thing you should do anyways after you let anyone on your system temporarily, since its a security hazard.

6. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Well that is true, but it always seems that's one big one most people forget, so I mention everytime. :)

7. tkoweb

tkoweb Active Member

Problem is..

Cpanel is licensed in such a way that the noc has to first submit a "disable" for your server's IP address, before you can have another company license your server. It's all tied into your IP.

If you are able to obtain new IP addresses and do a DNS switchover (assuming you only have a few servers or less), that's the best way to avoid trouble if your current provider really is that bad.

Otherwise, get them to do a cancel, and there's nothing else they can do to hurt your company or servers (assuming they don't have your passwords etc).

Then go to a reputable company like http://www.atjeu.com/cp/index.html or a number of other providers, and sign up! You can probably even check w/ someone here @ cpanel.net to see if they can verify you as the owner of the IP address and disconnect the IP for you without the noc's help.

Boris @ Atjeu has been a great help to me, he'll call you in person and take care of requesting the new cpanel license within 24 hours.

Good luck,

Ken Oporto

8. bmcpanel

Thanks for the info, folks. You've been a big help.

9. Tox

Tox Member

I have changed providers a few times and I have never had problems with getting the licenses moved so I doubt you will have problems with it. The new provider will most likely help you out as they are getting a new customer (at least I would).