The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uninstall CPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by msquall, Apr 19, 2004.

1. msquall

msquall Member

How can I uninstall CPanel ?
    Is ther a script for that ?

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

No script for that.

Cpanel, once it is installed, becomes part of the operating system. The only way to properly and fully remove it is to reinstall the operating system.

There have been posts about partially removing, or disabling it, without a full reinstall, but they are just partial removals.

3. msquall

msquall Member

Thanks Squirrel !
    That's what I thought, but I hope.
    So the answer is : format :eek:

4. trey007

trey007 Member

Does anyone know if this is a 'feature' that will be addressed in future releases?

5. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Would be nice, but I doubt it.

6. trey007

trey007 Member

I just inherited a server where the previous admin installed this without purchasing the license. Needless to say, it doesn't work and has rendered the server useless until a license is purchased. It is actions like this that have us calling him 'the previous admin.' It looks like I'll be taking your reinstall option.

7. nybble

nybble Well-Known Member

I wish there way a way to remove it... Nick, will you make this an option in the future?

To me this just seems like a way to force people to use cpanel... they install it to try it out, and they are stuck with it... unless they want to spend hours and hours getting a new server going and users back on it... bah!

8. BenThomas

BenThomas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't really think this will be a priority of Nick's, but I don't really see any problem myself. If you were desperate to remove cPanel, then just blow away /usr/local/cpanel, remove all the cpanel startup scripts, kill any cpanel related processes and you should be good to go. The major webserver software such as Apache and Bind are pretty much standard. You'll just need to put on your sysadmin hat and go to work. I couldn't imagine it taking more than a hours worth of work.

9. trey007

trey007 Member

If it was only an hours worth of work, then you'd figure putting together an uninstall script shouldn't be too difficult. My main issue was I didn't know what all cpanel shuffled around. My permissions on all users were adjusted and the webserver wouldn't start with normal commands. I backed up my sites, blew away the server and started fresh. Everything's fine now. I'm sure cPanel is an awesome product, but it is definitely not in the budget at $1500.

10. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you cant afford to use it, you shoulda never tried it in the first place. There is no way to uninstall cpanel, there problably never will be either, nor should there be. just my 2 cents

11. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    besides, why spend time on an unstall script so that what, 4 users can use it, when they can spend time making script additions and feature enhancements for thousands? Good of the many over the good of the few here bub.

12. trey007

trey007 Member

B12Org,

Read the F%^&ing threads. I didn't install the program. Anytime a program requires install, there should always be an uninstall. That is software development.

13. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    well either way, re-image. Faster then uninstalling too in a lot of cases. I can read, so dont patronize me. Im just saying they are not going to waste their time making an uninstall for a program in which maybe 5 people want to uninstall.

Geez. You got some anger issues man

14. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Trey,

I can certainly undestand your frustrations.

But, in this case, is it not really the "previous" sysadmins' (or sysadmins employers) fault for allowing this type of mismanagement?

You certainly can't blame cPanel. cPanel did not sneak into the datacenter and install their product on the server without somebody's knowledge.

If you have "taken over" this position, you are simply stuck having to fix all of this guys's/gal's screwups. My guess, you probably have more problems with the server(s) than just an expired "trial" cPanel license. I can but further guess, that if you resolve all of the present issues and establish a true server/security management plan, that you will be gainfully employed for quite some time:)

15. trey007

trey007 Member

bamasbest,

Point well taken. Thanks you for your insight and encouragement to use this as my opportunity to shine.

Regards,

16. bamasbest

Trey,

You are welcome!

Just remember.... If everyhting could easily be fixed with the simple click of a button, us "real" sysadmins would all wind up asking questions like ..." would you like to supersize your order, sir?"!

17. kofi

kofi Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Trey,

You have a good point. All programs should have an uninstall, cPanel should be the same.

18. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am now waiting for a windows uninstaller since windows is a shell on top of dos (prev versions). When microsoft comes out with an uninstaller, I am sure cpanel will not be far behind. Till then, thats why you have a sysadmin

19. trey007

trey007 Member

Windows Uninstaller = [Distro of Choice] Linux CD 1

For the record, I think Windows finally gave up DOS on newer versions of their nOS.

20. bamasbest

Hey B12,

Wouldn't you really want a combined Windows AND DOS uninstaller, since DOS is/was really a Microsoft product to begin with as well? ;) ;)