Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Unknown files on the account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bernadette Donnelly, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Bernadette Donnelly

Bernadette Donnelly Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi

I have recently taken over management of a website for a company. I have not touched anything in the Cpanel files at all, but lately we have had a few errors on the website. Things not appearing where they should be and small things like that. This is weird because none of those things have been edited. This morning I decided to investigate and go into the cpanel files and found this:

image.ibb.co/iR8FYS/eorrors.png

I might not have changed any files but I have browsed through them enough to know that those oddly named files were not there before. I tried deleting them but when I open the website they just reappear again.

The company is still under contract with the company who built the site, even though they have me now, but they are useless and basically wont help so this forum is my best shot.

Does anyone know what might have caused this? And how to fix it?

#1 Bernadette Donnelly, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2018
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You could search /var/log/messages to see recent FTP activity, or search /usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log to see recent cPanel activity to see if those files were uploaded via FTP or cPanel. EX:

Code:
    grep account-username /var/log/messages
    Also, could you verify which method you used when attempting to remove the files? Try using SSH or FTP if you only tried to delete them via File Manager thus far.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...