Unknown Kernel (CentOS Linux 3.14.43-1)

Clemenzas

Jan 16, 2021
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello team,

I have had a WHM installation for years, where I host my websites.

I did a new installation of WHM on a new server, bought a new license and started the transfer of content between panels.

My goal was to see which server was faster, just that. I checked that my current server is faster, so I re-enabled the accounts and deleted the new server.

But since then, every four hours I receive this message by email: Unknown Kernel (CentOS Linux 3.14.43-1) sent by cron.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Could it be a problem for my installation?

Sin-título-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

andrew.n

Jun 9, 2020
EU
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It seems you are using KernelCare as per the emails. Please reach out to the provider where you bought the license from and they should be able to contact CloudLinux about this. Can you also show us the output of /etc/cron.d/kcare-cron file? It was a bug before but as far as I know they fixed it already.

Reactions: ZenHostingTravis

Clemenzas

Jan 16, 2021
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
It seems you are using KernelCare as per the emails. Please reach out to the provider where you bought the license from and they should be able to contact CloudLinux about this. Can you also show us the output of /etc/cron.d/kcare-cron file? It was a bug before but as far as I know they fixed it already.
[/CITAR]

[QUOTE = "ZenHostingTravis, publicación: 2818941, miembro: 1006349"]
Hola @ [USER = 1045145] Clemenzas [/ USER]:

Me alegra saber que la migración valió la pena y que el servidor está funcionando más rápido.

¿Está utilizando KernelCare en su nuevo servidor?
[/CITAR]

Sorry, my English is not good and I use an online translator (deepl).

My new server was slower, so I continue to use the same server (the old one).

I haven't installed or modified anything, I have only enabled the accounts (they were disabled by default when making the file copy).

That's why I'm very surprised by this problem with the cron. Should I open a support ticket?

vacancy

Sep 20, 2012
Turkey
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You have kernelcare installed on your server and the kernel you are using is not supported.

Also, your kernel is very old and has vulnerabilities. Urgently you should update the kernel.

Clemenzas

Jan 16, 2021
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
You have kernelcare installed on your server and the kernel you are using is not supported.

Also, your kernel is very old and has vulnerabilities. Urgently you should update the kernel.
[/CITAR]

Thanks for the help, I'm not an expert, but I used a command to see the result:
Kernel: Linux 3.14.43-1

Should I update the kernel?

When I do opdate / upgrade on the server, nothing comes out to actually upgrade.

Thanks for help

Attachments

andrew.n

Jun 9, 2020
EU
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
As @vacancy said the solution might be to upgrade your kernel. You can do so by running "yum update kernel" command.

cPJustinD

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2021
Houston
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! You can check if your kernel has been patched using the following command:

Code:
kcarectl --patch-info
If you see an "Unknown Kernel" in the output, then it is likely that KernelCare has not yet released a patch for the running kernel version on your server. You can also verify the running kernel version using:

Code:
uname -r
You can then verify if that kernel version has been patched at KernelCare Patches

If you find that the kernel is not patched, then it may be time to update your kernel as suggested by @vacancy and @andrew.n.