The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unmanaged Dediated Hosting and Nginx

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by genxstan, Oct 23, 2010.

1. genxstan

genxstan Registered

Hello!
    I'm planning to buy an unmanaged dedicated server with cPanel installed on CentOS. My questions are

1) Is it possible that I can install nginx and integrate it with cpanel using cpnginx.
    2) What do I keep in mind while ordering the dedicated server( like additional IPs and all)?
    3) Will I am able to restore a cpanel backup file after integrating cpanel with nginx.
    4) When my hosting provider gives the cpanel, will it be registered with my domain name or IP?

Hope someone can answer me. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Regards
    Stanley

2. genxstan

genxstan Registered

Anybody have the answer?

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There's a thread on the forum for using nginx with cPanel. Doing a search will find it for you, especially since it has around 33,000 page views so it really stands out.

You can still do account restores, but I have no idea how it impacts the nginx files. That's better asked in the thread on nginx that I mentioned in the last paragraph.

Since we have no idea where you'll be getting hosting, we cannot answer your other questions. You'd need to ask your host that stuff.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Congratulations, you're in for some real fun. :)

I'm assuming you already know about nginx somewhat or you wouldn't be asking about it. I do believe it is possible, but not supported by cPanel.

There is a Feature Request ongoing concerning it (nginx) being supported at some point down the road though. You can read that, here:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f145/nginx-accelerating-apache-134209.html?highlight=nginx

There is also a thread, as mentioned above by Tristan you can find here:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f77/nginx-automated-installer-148109.html

(which for all concerned, I just moved to apps and plugins forum)

You'll need to keep many things in mind, IPs are a good place to start though. At least 3 would be a good way to go. One main IP for server, 2 more for nameservers.

The "and all" part you mention is where this rabbit hole gets very deep.

Before IPs, you need to decide on how much money you want to spend. Then decide what the duty of the server is. Hosting 5 small accounts for friends? You surely do not need an 8 GB RAM, 4 quad core, RAID array setup with offshore rsync-ed backups and all of that. It would be nice, yes sure, but a good small properly configured server on a major pipeline will work just fine.

Don't plan 5 years out, plan for right now. (IMHO) You can always move to a larger server when needed. If you stay hosting for any real length of time you'll probably be moving to a new server down the road regardless of outgrowing it. Servers get old and must be upgraded. ;)

That said, most of the major players that sell servers these days do have multiple forms of communication that you should use when shopping for a new server. Call them up, send them emails, ask them what's best for you after telling them what you'll be doing with it.

They can help.

When you find one you like, are they a cPanel Partner? There's a very long list of cPanel Partners you might like to search for them on, and have a peek at others, located here:
    Partners - cPanel Inc.

I would say yes, but I'd only be guessing. I have no experience using nginx. You'll need to do more research on that if this is important to you. The thread mentioned above might prove useful to you.

This would depend on the host I guess, lets just assume your domain name.