Unmatched entries in logwatch - imap

verdon

Nov 1, 2003
Northern Ontario, Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I get the following **Unmatched Entries** in my logwatch every day and wondered if anyone can shed some light on it

/usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/shared/index: No such file or directory: n Time(s)
... where n may be as little as 8 but usually around 60

Also, I get this one daily but I think it may be superfluous

LOGOUT, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]: n Time(s)
... where n is usually a couple hundred

kemis

Feb 17, 2005
Austin, TX
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
The "logouts" are okay. I think they're coming from pure-ftpd. You can safely ignore them. I wish I knew why the server logs into its own ftp server all the time.

The reason I came to this thread, though, was to see what I could find out about your courier-imap index question. I noticed the same message while t-shooting a different Horde-related issue. Then, last night it came through my logwatch report, so it piqued my interest again.

I looked at my old server where I didn't have the issue & remembered that I "fixed" the error by simply:

Code:
touch /usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/shared/index
This creates a zero-length file & gets rid of the errors. I did this back in June of last year & never had major probs ever since.

As best I can tell, that index file is used to link multiple Horde users to common "shared" mail folders. I could definitely be wrong in this, though, so I'd be interested in hearing what other people have to say about it.

Matt

kemis

Feb 17, 2005
Austin, TX
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
P.S. - In case you hadn't realized it, you get that index message as soon as someone logs into Horde. "tail -f maillog" & then log into Horde & you should see it. After that, touch the file & the message should go away.

-- Matt