The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unmonitored Services and Altered RPMs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrbradahn, Oct 24, 2015.

1. mrbradahn

mrbradahn Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello all, this is my first post so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong section or if this has been answered already.

I have received two semi-alarming e-mails from Cpanel. The first regarding these services: ServiceDescriptioncpdavdcPanel DAV DaemoncphulkdcPHulk DaemonmailmanMailmannscdName Service Cache DaemonspamdApache SpamAssassin™ being unmonitored.

And the second e-mail states this:
    The system detected problems with the following cPanel-provided files that the RPM controls:

RPM Status Additional Information
    exim,4.86,1.cp1148-/etc/antivirus.exim Broken missing c

If you did not make these changes intentionally, execute the following command as the root user to correct them:

I am more concerned about the second e-mail and would appreciate any response or guidance. Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The "Unmonitored Service" email is by design in cPanel version 11.52. Prior to 11.52, if a service was left enabled but unmonitored, customers would only notice this when they realized a required service was not running. This would result in websites being offline for unknown periods of times, emails failing to be delivered, and so forth. With this change, we're encouraging users to take a proactive (rather than reactive) approach to server administration and using the tools cPanel has provided to ensure their email, websites, databases, or any enabled service stay online and are accessible for customers. The "Unmonitored Services" notification is managed under the "Notifications" tab in:

"WHM Home » Service Manager » Contact Manager"

Note: Your second question is answered here:

Exim RPM Notification

Thank you.

3. mrbradahn

mrbradahn Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for the response Michael, so should I just go into this section in Cpanel and enable monitoring for all these services? What will this monitoring do exactly?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The TailWatch driver monitors the services that you configure in the "Service Manager" interface. The ChkServd driver attempts to restart a service when it detects that the service has failed, and provides alerts about service failure, recovery, and timeouts to the contact information that you provide in WHM's Basic cPanel & WHM Setup interface (WHM Home >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel & WHM Setup). This is documented at:

Service Manager - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.